Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > British ID cards

British ID cards

beenthere

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006

Subject: ID cards are no joke

PLEASE PASS THIS ON:

You may have heard that legislation creating compulsory ID Cards
passed a crucial stage in the House of Commons. You may feel that ID
cards are not something to worry about, since we already have Photo ID
for our Passport and Driving License and an ID Card will be no
different to that. What you have not been told is the full scope of
this proposed ID Card, and what it will mean to you personally.

The proposed ID Card will be different from any card you now hold. It
will be connected to a database called the NIR (or National Identity
Register), where all of your personal details will be stored. This
will include the unique number that will be issued to you, your
fingerprints, a scan of the back of your eye, and your photograph. Your
name, address and date of birth will also obviously be stored there.

There will be spaces on this database for your religion, residence
status, and many other private and personal facts about you. There is
unlimited space for every other details of your life on the NIR
database, which can be expanded by the Government with or without
further Acts of Parliament.

By itself, you might think that this register is harmless, but you
would be wrong to come to this conclusion. This new card will be used
to check your identity against your entry in the register in real time,
whenever you present it to 'prove who you are'.

Every place that sells alcohol or cigarettes, every post office, every
pharmacy, and every Bank will have an NIR Card Terminal, (very much
like the Chip and Pin Readers that are everywhere now) into which your
card can be 'swiped' to check your identity. Each time this happens, a
record is made at the NIR of the time and place that the Card was
presented. This means for example, that there will be a government
record of every time you withdraw more than 99 at your branch of
NatWest, who now demand ID for these transactions. Every time you have
to prove that you are over 18, your card will be swiped, and a record
made at the NIR. Restaurants and off licenses will demand that your
card is swiped so that each receipt shows that they sold alcohol to
someone over 18, and that this was proved by the access to the NIR,
indemnifying them from prosecution.

Private businesses are going to be given access to the NIR Database.
If you want to apply for a job, you will have to present your card for
a swipe. If you want to apply for a London Underground Oyster Card, or
a supermarket loyalty card, or a driving license you will have to
present your ID Card for a swipe. The same goes for getting a
telephone line or a mobile phone or an internet account.

Oyster, DVLA, BT and Nectar (for example) all run very detailed
databases of their own. They will be allowed access to the NIR, just
as every other business will be. This means that each of these
entities will be able to store your unique number in their database,
and place all your travel, phone records, driving activities and
detailed shopping habits under your unique NIR number. These databases,
which can easily fit on a storage device the size of your hand, will be
sold to third parties either legally or illegally. It will then be
possible for a non-governmental entity to create a detailed dossier of
all your activities. Certainly, the government will have clandestine
access to all of them, meaning that they will have a complete record of
all your movements, from how much and when you withdraw from your bank
account to what medications you are taking, down to the level of what
sort of bread you eat - all accessible via a single unique number in a
Central database.

This is quite a significant leap from a simple ID Card that shows
simply
your
name and face.

Most people do not know that this is the true character and scope of
the proposed ID Card. Whenever the details of how it will work are
explained to them, they quickly change from being ambivalent towards
it.

The Government is going to COMPEL you to enter your details into the
NIR and to carry this card. If you and your children want to obtain or
renew your passports, you will be forced to have your fingerprints
taken and your eyes scanned for the NIR, and an ID Card will be issued
to you whether you want one or not. If you refuse to be fingerprinted
and eye scanned, you will not be able to get a passport. Your ID Card
will, just like your passport, not be your property. The Home
Secretary will have the right to revoke or suspend your ID at any time,
meaning that you will not be able to withdraw money from your Bank
Account, for example, or do anything that requires you to present your
government issued ID Card.

The arguments that have been put forwarded in favour of ID Cards can be
easily disproved. ID Cards WILL NOT stop terrorists; every Spaniard
has a compulsory ID Card as did the Madrid Bombers. ID Cards will not
'eliminate benefit fraud', which in comparison, is small compared to
the astronomical cost of this proposal, which will be measured in
billions according to the LSE (London School of Economics). This scheme
exists solely to exert total surveillance and control over the ordinary
free British Citizen, and it will line the pockets of the companies
that will create the computer systems at the expense of your freedom,
privacy and money.

If you did not know the full scope of the proposed ID Card Scheme
before and you are as unsettled as I am at what it really means to you,
to this country and its way of life, I urge you to email or photocopy
this and give it to your friends and colleagues and everyone else you
think should know and who cares. The Bill has proceeded to this stage
due to the lack of accurate and complete information on this proposal
being made public.

Frances Stonor Saunders.

Frances Stonor Saunders is the former arts editor of The New Statesman,
author of The Cultural Cold War, Diabolical Englishman and The Devil's
Broker, and was awarded the Royal Historical Society's William
Gladstone
Memorial Prize. She lives in London.

D@Z

so wot?

"beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6uK3g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
> free British Citizen, and it will line the pockets of the companies
> that will create the computer systems at the expense of your freedom,
> privacy and money.
>
> If you did not know the full scope of the proposed ID Card Scheme
> before and you are as unsettled as I am at what it really means to you,
> to this country and its way of life, I urge you to email or photocopy
> this and give it to your friends and colleagues and everyone else you
> think should know and who cares. The Bill has proceeded to this stage
> due to the lack of accurate and complete information on this proposal
> being made public.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders is the former arts editor of The New Statesman,
> author of The Cultural Cold War, Diabolical Englishman and The Devil's
> Broker, and was awarded the Royal Historical Society's William

antwine

Wish they would do that here!
> [...]
> free British Citizen, and it will line the pockets of the companies
> that will create the computer systems at the expense of your freedom,
> privacy and money.
>
> If you did not know the full scope of the proposed ID Card Scheme
> before and you are as unsettled as I am at what it really means to you,
> to this country and its way of life, I urge you to email or photocopy
> this and give it to your friends and colleagues and everyone else you
> think should know and who cares. The Bill has proceeded to this stage
> due to the lack of accurate and complete information on this proposal
> being made public.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders is the former arts editor of The New Statesman,
> author of The Cultural Cold War, Diabolical Englishman and The Devil's
> Broker, and was awarded the Royal Historical Society's William

Tab

"antwine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Wish they would do that here!
> "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6uK3g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006
>>
>> Subject: ID cards are no joke

Im not an illegal immigrant,nor do I break the law or draw Social Security
so I have nothing to worry about

Whiskers

On 2006-04-26, D@Z <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6uK3g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006
>>
>> Subject: ID cards are no joke

snip

> so wot?

Presumably you are happy to be owned by the government and monitored in all
you do and wherever you go, and potentially told where you can and can't
go.

ID cards are a reversal of the concept of the people being 'free' in any
way. Ask South Africans about the 'dombook' or 'dompas', for instance.

(Another thing: how did 'they' tell a Hutu from a Tutsi, or a Serb from
a Croatian?).

The proposed British system is far more than just a bit of plastic with a
photo on it; the card is just a red herring in fact - the massive central
database is what Blair & Co really want, that's where the power over us
will come from - and no country anywhere on Earth has ever tried anything
as invasive or far-reaching. Ireland rejected the idea, just; but
Australia looks as though the same thing is going to be tried there -
they've learned from Blair's mistake in one way though, John Howard is
calling it an "access card"
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/26/aussie_pseudo_id/>.

See also uk.politics.id-cards

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

beenthere

"Tab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "antwine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Wish they would do that here!
>> "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:6uK3g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006
>>>
>>> Subject: ID cards are no joke
>>>

> Im not an illegal immigrant,nor do I break the law or draw Social Security
> so I have nothing to worry about

Me too.
But, millions of people died in the 39-45 war to protect peoples`
Freedom.
And it doesn`t matter which `State` controls you, until you realise
all your freedoms are gone.

D@Z

they had ID cards during the 39-45 war for your information.....

> [...]
> free British Citizen, and it will line the pockets of the companies
> that will create the computer systems at the expense of your freedom,
> privacy and money.
>
> If you did not know the full scope of the proposed ID Card Scheme
> before and you are as unsettled as I am at what it really means to you,
> to this country and its way of life, I urge you to email or photocopy
> this and give it to your friends and colleagues and everyone else you
> think should know and who cares. The Bill has proceeded to this stage
> due to the lack of accurate and complete information on this proposal
> being made public.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders.
>
> Frances Stonor Saunders is the former arts editor of The New Statesman,
> author of The Cultural Cold War, Diabolical Englishman and The Devil's
> Broker, and was awarded the Royal Historical Society's William

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

beenthere wrote:
> "Tab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"antwine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>>Wish they would do that here!
>>>"beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:6uK3g.2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>Im not an illegal immigrant,nor do I break the law or draw Social Security
>>so I have nothing to worry about

> Me too.
> But, millions of people died in the 39-45 war to protect peoples`
> Freedom.
> And it doesn`t matter which `State` controls you, until you realise
> all your freedoms are gone.

If it means my freedom to travel in an aeroplane without fear of some
shithead sitting next to me with a pipe bomb shoved up his arse, then
give me an ID card.

beenthere

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z3Q3g.62$(E-Mail Removed)...
> beenthere wrote:
>> "Tab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"antwine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>Im not an illegal immigrant,nor do I break the law or draw Social
>>>Security so I have nothing to worry about

>> Me too.
>> But, millions of people died in the 39-45 war to protect peoples`
>> Freedom.
>> And it doesn`t matter which `State` controls you, until you realise
>> all your freedoms are gone.

> If it means my freedom to travel in an aeroplane without fear of some
> shithead sitting next to me with a pipe bomb shoved up his arse, then give
> me an ID card.

Sadly Brian, you already know that an ID card won`t stop a pipe bomb,
no matter how far out in front of you you hold it.
How can anyone trust a Government that let`s over 1000 extra
criminals out onto our streets, when they could have deported the
lot of `em ?.
This is about State control, not your\my\our safety

beenthere

news:444fcc66$(E-Mail Removed)...

I know D@Z, I was there !. I`m 74 years old. <g>.