Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What could be wrong with FTP on my Dell WinXP?

What could be wrong with FTP on my Dell WinXP?

Wayne Delia

I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop)
and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the
Internet by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.

The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
choice, UltraEdit v11.0.

The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.

Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
with FTP?

Best,
WMD

--
Wayne Delia, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College

Evan Platt

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 GMT, Wayne Delia <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop)
>and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the
>Internet by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.
>
>The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
>website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
>progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
>prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
>choice, UltraEdit v11.0.
>
>The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
>trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
>seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.
>
>Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
>with FTP?

Incorrect MTU setting?

Firewall?

thanatoid

Wayne Delia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one
> IBM laptop) and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All
> are connected to the Internet by a DSL connection and a
> home network I've set up.
>
> The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to
> my remote website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are
> uploaded and no further progress is made. This symptom is
> evident with native FTP at a command prompt, or uploading
> using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of choice,
> UltraEdit v11.0.
>
> The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux
> box have no trouble uploading at all. The affected machine
> used to upload fine, but seems to have this problem
> consistently for the past three months or so.
>
> Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out
> what's wrong with FTP?
>
> Best,
> WMD

I don't use XP so some might say I shouldn't say anything, but
of course, I will, especially since my comment is not OS
related.

If they're all networked, it will take seconds to transfer
anything to or from a machine where ftp DOES work, so do you
REALLY have a problem? Having four computers is bad enough, but
using all four (or 3) to do the same thing is kind of strange.
Maybe you should try not to forget that there is a world outside
your front door as well.

--
thanatoid-Tip® #9 (an opinion this time)
HTML is very simple, very clever, yet stupid and pointless. But

Meat Plow

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 +0000, Wayne Delia wrote:

> I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop) and
> a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the Internet
> by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.
>
> The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
> website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
> progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
> prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
> choice, UltraEdit v11.0.
>
> The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
> trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
> seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.
>
> Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong with
> FTP?
>
> Best,
> WMD

Just use a box that works and forget about it.

why?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 GMT, Wayne Delia wrote:

<snip>

>Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
>with FTP?

Remote server logs.
Local FTP client logs.
Packet sniffer.