Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hooking up laptop to monitor (how)?

hooking up laptop to monitor (how)?

MB_

I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.

We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.

My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What kind of
cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the
laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the laptop
screen?

Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
special setting I would need?

Mel

Duane Arnold

MB_ wrote:
> I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
>
> We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
>
> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor.

There is plug on the back of the laptop you take the cable from the
monitor and plug it in to it, just like you do on a desktop computer.

> What kind of
> cable would I need??

None
> Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the
> laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the laptop
> screen?

You close the lid on the laptop.

> Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
> monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
> special setting I would need?

No, the screen may not be as good in picture quality as opposed to you
having a desktop machine that had graphics card in it or the LCD/monitor
portion of the laptop. But you'll be able to see it.

Duane

JANA

On the back of the laptop, there should be a connector that is for a VGA
type monitor. The LCD TV you bought must have the VGA input option. You will
need the optional VGA cable that would go between the TV set and the laptop.
See your dealer, or get in touch with the manufacture of the LCD TV for that
option.

If the above complies, then you must set the laptop's resolution to the
required native mode for the LCD TV. You must refer to the instructions that
came with the laptop. If the native resolution for the LCD TV set is out of
range for the laptop's display capability, then you will not be able to have
the optimum resolution on the LCD TV.

To activate the external connector on the back of the laptop, there should
be a function key for this. See the owner's manual for the laptop.

Don't expect the LCD TV to have the same quality as a dedicated LCD computer
monitor. If you decide to buy a dedicated computer monitor, make sure that
it is a model that can have the same native resolution mode that is
recommended for the laptop.

If your LCD TV does not have a VGA input, see if your laptop has a
compatible component video output, of either S-Video, or standard baseband
video. If so, the LCD TV must have a matched input capability. Most all LCD
TV sets have baseband, and or S-Video inputs. The picture quality using this
type of video coupling is going to be much less than the VGA type coupling.

If the laptop has only an external VGA output, and the LCD TV does not have
this type of input, but has a baseband input, you can buy a conversion box
that can go from VGA to baseband video. The quality, within limits, will go
up, according to the price you want to pay for such a converter. In any
case, it will never be as good as a dedicated VGA coupling, using a
dedicated VGA computer monitor, and using the native mode for the monitor.

--

JANA
_____

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:74X2g.1809$(E-Mail Removed)...

I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.

We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.

My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What kind of
cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the
laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the laptop
screen?

Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
special setting I would need?

Mel

JANA

Question:
If he closes the lid of the laptop, how is he supposed to operate the
keyboard to access it?
If he needs no cable between the laptop and the LCD TV, how is he supposed
to connect between the two units?

--

JANA
_____

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:HmX2g.8214$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
MB_ wrote:
> I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
>
> We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
>
> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor.

There is plug on the back of the laptop you take the cable from the
monitor and plug it in to it, just like you do on a desktop computer.

> What kind of
> cable would I need??

None

JANA wrote:
> Question:
> If he closes the lid of the laptop, how is he supposed to operate the
> keyboard to access it?
> If he needs no cable between the laptop and the LCD TV, how is he supposed
> to connect between the two units?

You're correct in that sense. I have always had an external keyboard and
mouse hooked up too.

Duane

Dan Evans

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:74X2g.1809$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
>
> We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
>
> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What kind
> of cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH
> the laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the
> laptop screen?
>
> Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
> monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
> special setting I would need?

Did you even *consider* opening the instruction book?

Dan

dogsBollix

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:444c76c3$0$24086$(E-Mail Removed):

> "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:74X2g.1809$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
>>
>> We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
>> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
>>
>> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What
>> kind of cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on
>> BOTH the laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken
>> the laptop screen?
>>
>> Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up
>> the monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there
>> any special setting I would need?

> Did you even *consider* opening the instruction book?
>
> Dan

now where's the fun in that ?

dB

MB_

Thanks for your responses. Looking at the back of my Inspiron, I see there
is a port that according to the "manual" is a video port (there are 3 USB
ports, a network port, a modem port and then this port).

On my monitor, there is a port entitled VGA that looks the same. So I assume
the cable I need would look the same at both ends (I assume that would be a
VGA cable??).

Another question: would this just send the video and not the sound?? Would
the sound just come out of my Inspiron speakers or would the TV/LCD be
emitting the sound?

Mel

"Nicholas Andrade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nUX2g.5248$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> [...]

>> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
>>
>> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor.

> There is plug on the back of the laptop you take the cable from the
> monitor and plug it in to it, just like you do on a desktop computer.
>
>> What kind of cable would I need??

> None
>> Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the laptop screen AND the
>> monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the laptop screen?
>>

> You close the lid on the laptop.
>

>> Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up
>> the monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there
>> any special setting I would need?

> No, the screen may not be as good in picture quality as opposed to you
> having a desktop machine that had graphics card in it or the LCD/monitor
> portion of the laptop. But you'll be able to see it.

Duane Arnold

MB_ wrote:
> Thanks for your responses. Looking at the back of my Inspiron, I see there
> is a port that according to the "manual" is a video port (there are 3 USB
> ports, a network port, a modem port and then this port).
>
> On my monitor, there is a port entitled VGA that looks the same. So I assume
> the cable I need would look the same at both ends (I assume that would be a
> VGA cable??).

There is only going to be one plug on the back of the laptop for a
monitor. One size fits all. The monitor should have come with that
cable. If all else fails call the monitor's manufacturer and let them
tell you what you need.

> Another question: would this just send the video and not the sound?? Would
> the sound just come out of my Inspiron speakers or would the TV/LCD be
> emitting the sound?

Your laptop may have a sound plug that you can plug the LCD monitor that
has speakers into it.

Other than that, the sound is coming from whatever speaker are on the
laptop. Hopefully, it's a stereo speakered laptop.

Duane