Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cap lock light

cap lock light

nick

Tell me if you ever heard of the following.
I have a compaq tower running Windows NT. When the machine is powered
off, the caps lock led indicator remains on. Where is the power for the
light coming from? Is this condition draining the battery inside the
tower? Should I unplug the keyboard when the computer is powered down?
What do you think? I did swap out the keyboard and the same thing is
happening regardless of the keyboard.

Thanks

JANA

When your computer is off, the power supply should normally be in the
standby mode. In this mode, there is a small amount of power in the system,
so that the CPU can do certain functions in the background, such as being
able to start the computer from LAN, or the keyboard, depending on how it
was set up.

It is not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer, but if
you did, I am sure the light would go out.

--

JANA
_____

"nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Tell me if you ever heard of the following.
I have a compaq tower running Windows NT. When the machine is powered
off, the caps lock led indicator remains on. Where is the power for the
light coming from? Is this condition draining the battery inside the
tower? Should I unplug the keyboard when the computer is powered down?
What do you think? I did swap out the keyboard and the same thing is
happening regardless of the keyboard.

Thanks

Plato

nick wrote:

> Tell me if you ever heard of the following.
> I have a compaq tower running Windows NT. When the machine is powered
> off, the caps lock led indicator remains on. Where is the power for the
> light coming from? Is this condition draining the battery inside the

IT's coming from the tower. Modern PCs are NEVER really turned OFF,
unless you have a button on the back of your power supply to use or hit
the surge protector/power strip. ie there is always power running to the
mobo and bios chip. This allows stuff like "wake on lan" and/or "wake on
modem" to work.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Oldus Fartus

JANA wrote:
> When your computer is off, the power supply should normally be in the
> standby mode. In this mode, there is a small amount of power in the system,
> so that the CPU can do certain functions in the background, such as being
> able to start the computer from LAN, or the keyboard, depending on how it
> was set up.

FFS Jana, why do you persist in posting ****. Of course the power
supply on an ATX system is in a standby mode, that is the way ATX power
supplies work. One of the "certain functions" as you put it, is to
switch the ****er on from the momentary action "on" button.

> It is not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer, but if
> you did, I am sure the light would go out.

Crap. Would you care to expand on your reasons for suggesting it is
not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Oldus Fartus wrote:

> JANA wrote:
>> When your computer is off, ...

> FFS Jana, why do you persist in posting ****. ...

And at the top. Above a sig delimiter, which, when replying, cuts off
all the original quote.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

nick

Thanks for weighing in. So, I guess what you guys are saying is that it
is safe to leave the keyboard plugged in, and I don't have to worry
about any battery on the mother board from dying, because the juice is
coming from the AC where the computer is plugged into.
Thanks. I wasn't fond of unplugging and plugging in the keyboard into
the back of the cpu tower because of how fragile those pins are.
Okay, guys, thanks again.

Plato

nick wrote:

> Thanks for weighing in. So, I guess what you guys are saying is that it
> is safe to leave the keyboard plugged in, and I don't have to worry
> about any battery on the mother board from dying, because the juice is

The motherboard battery is only used to keep the bios running if the PC
has NO external power.