Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restart Now - Restart Later

Restart Now - Restart Later

another MickG

Hi Folks

Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
I have automatic updates enabled

Mike

Duane Arnold

another MickG wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now / Restart Later"
> dialogue box that sometimes pops up when I have automatic updates enabled
>
> Mike

That's coming from the download site and you have no control of it. You
either reboot the machine so that the changes take affect or you don't.

Duane

Jimchip

On 2006-04-23, another MickG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
> Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
> I have automatic updates enabled
>
> Mike

You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
reboot.

You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

--
'auto' is nice but it's not 'auto' if you get a dialog that makes you do
something manually.

Duane Arnold

"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-04-23, another MickG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
>> Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
>> I have automatic updates enabled
>>
>> Mike

> You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
> reboot.
>
> You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
> be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
business.

Duane

Jimchip

On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:

> "Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2006-04-23, another MickG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
>>> Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
>>> I have automatic updates enabled
>>>
>>> Mike

>> You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
>> reboot.
>>
>> You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
>> be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

> The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
> business.

Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
AutoUpdates was interrupting it.

--
Horse the Cart Before

Duane Arnold

Jimchip wrote:
> On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:
>
>>"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
>>>reboot.
>>>
>>>You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
>>>be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

>>The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
>>business.

> Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
> AutoUpdates was interrupting it.

Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
there is noway it can be disabled.

Duane

Jimchip

On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
> Jimchip wrote:
>> On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:
>>
>>>"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
>>>business.

>> Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
>> AutoUpdates was interrupting it.
>>

> Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
> at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
> updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
> Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
> question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
interrupted.

> You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
> coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
> at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
on.

> Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
> not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
> there is noway it can be disabled.

If it gets that far.

--
OP doesn't like the dialog box showing up at inconvenient times

Duane Arnold

Jimchip wrote:
> On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
>
>>Jimchip wrote:

>>>Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
>>>AutoUpdates was interrupting it.
>>>

>>Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
>>at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
>>updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
>>Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
>>question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

> Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
> was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
> computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
> that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
> downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
> interrupted.

That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

>>You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
>>coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
>>at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

> Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
> part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
> on.

Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
asking the question.

>>Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
>>not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
>>there is noway it can be disabled.

> If it gets that far.

I have never had a problem.

Duane

Jimchip

On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
> Jimchip wrote:

>>>Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
>>>at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
>>>updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
>>>Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
>>>question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

>> Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
>> was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
>> computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
>> that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
>> downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
>> interrupted.

> That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
> reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
> as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
> boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to
reboot all of the time

>>>You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
>>>coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
>>>at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

>> Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
>> part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
>> on.

> Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
> and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
> asking the question.

The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download
and install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently
needs a reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.

>>>Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
>>>not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
>>>there is noway it can be disabled.

>> If it gets that far.

> I have never had a problem.

"Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

--
I bet you frequently just pull out the power cord because it's so frozen up.

Duane Arnold

Jimchip wrote:
> On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
>
>>Jimchip wrote:

>>>Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
>>>was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
>>>computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
>>>that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
>>>downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
>>>interrupted.

>>That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
>>reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
>>as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
>>boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

> Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to
> reboot all of the time

>>>Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
>>>part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
>>>on.

>>Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
>>and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
>>asking the question.

> The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
> automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
> installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download
> and install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently
> needs a reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.

I boot when I need to boot and sometimes I don't boot until I am done
with something, like *when I am in the middle of doing something."

But am I going to go off the deep end with Oh my God - Oh my God I am
being asked to reboot -- NO. I"ll just do it at a later time or I'll do
it right away. It depends on what I am doing.

>>>If it gets that far.

>>I have never had a problem.

> "Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

When I feel the need and it ask would I like to do it or not and
sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depending upon what I am into at
the time.

Duane

Python bug in Windows 8--report now, or later? Kevin Walzer Python 11 09-20-2011 12:40 PM
XP restart vs msconfig restart Opsimath Computer Support 4 07-31-2005 02:58 PM
MCAD now or later julie MCAD 1 06-21-2004 03:04 PM
Now and Later What Language will use????? Aung Myat Khaing MCAD 0 05-27-2004 02:57 AM
Conversion ALDEC Foundation to Webpack ISE 4.2 and later Thomas Bartzick VHDL 0 06-26-2003 07:51 AM

Advertisments