Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Calculating max. number of subnets RFC950 or RFC1878

Calculating max. number of subnets RFC950 or RFC1878

Jeffrey Kusters

Does anyone know if Microsoft bases their exams on RFC950
or RFC1878 for calculating the maximum number of possible
subnets (use 2^n-2 or just 2^n).

In other words, does Microsoft allow use of the all 0's
and all 1's subnets???

kindest regards,

Jeffrey Kusters
MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

A. Vargas

For subnetting you should use the equation ((2^n)-2)
becuase all 0's identifies the subnet itself and all 1's
(255) is the broadcast address. I also believe that DHCP
uses the broadcast address. This is the way it is tested.

A. Vargas

Andy Foster

"Jeffrey Kusters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<10ac01c38acd$3f8ba130$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Does anyone know if Microsoft bases their exams on RFC950
> or RFC1878 for calculating the maximum number of possible
> subnets (use 2^n-2 or just 2^n).
>
> In other words, does Microsoft allow use of the all 0's
> and all 1's subnets???
>
> kindest regards,
>
> Jeffrey Kusters
> MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

It *should* be 2^n, but be aware that they may use 2^n-2.
You should not get any questions where you have to chose between them.
If you did, it would almost certainly mention the RFC in question.

HTH

Andy