Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP/W2K Prom Peer to Peer Network Problems

XP/W2K Prom Peer to Peer Network Problems

Mike

Hi, I'm having problems setting up a W2K Pro/XP Pro P2P network.

Configuration: comcast broadband, linksys wrt54g wireless router. xp pro pc
(A) rj45 connected to router,
xp pro pc (B) wireless connection to router & dell c400 notebook (C) w2k pro
wireless connection to router.
All three computers are connecting to internet w/o difficulty.
Task: c400 notebook (C) needs to print to printers connected to PC (A) and
share files with PC (A).
file sharing is enabled on PCs (A) & (C) and both of these PCs were added to
workgroup using network
wizard on XP Pro PC & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook. However, xp pc has
mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on PCs
(A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and access
files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A). Both can still
access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on both pcs, but
cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless administrator
is logged on. The other accts are admin level but network services are
disabled. on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate
the administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
printers connected to PC (A).

How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do I
need to do anything to the router's configuration?

Thanks,

Mike

Duane Arnold

Mike wrote:
> Hi, I'm having problems setting up a W2K Pro/XP Pro P2P network.
>
> Configuration: comcast broadband, linksys wrt54g wireless router. xp pro pc
> (A) rj45 connected to router,
> xp pro pc (B) wireless connection to router & dell c400 notebook (C) w2k pro
> wireless connection to router.
> All three computers are connecting to internet w/o difficulty.
> Task: c400 notebook (C) needs to print to printers connected to PC (A) and
> share files with PC (A).
> file sharing is enabled on PCs (A) & (C) and both of these PCs were added to
> workgroup using network
> wizard on XP Pro PC

That was your first mistake was to use that wizard, which you should
have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

& manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
> firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.

However, xp pc has
> mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on PCs
> (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and access
> files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
have networking working.

>Both can still
> access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on both pcs, but
> cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless administrator
> is logged on.

I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is
it that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

> The other accts are admin level but network services are
> disabled.

What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
installed on the NIC.

> on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate
> the administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give
the password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

> The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
> printers connected to PC (A).

It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a
routerable protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or
wireless to wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui
off the NIC on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on
the Win XP machine's NIC.

> How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do I
> need to do anything to the router's configuration?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the
the TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm

You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top
of your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.

Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be
applied in a P2P situation.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

There is a link for Win 2K too.

Duane

Mike

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
wizard, which you should
> have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
configuration in xp pro.
Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
desirable.

> & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
>> firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

> Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.
>
> However, xp pc has
>> mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on
>> PCs (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and
>> access files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

> Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
> have networking working.

Will do.

>>Both can still access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on
>>both pcs, but cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless
>>administrator
>> is logged on.

> I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is it
> that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

I created log on accts for both pcs. When I logged onto the W2k notebook
using one of the newly created admin accts network services are not
accessible.
Can only access network services when logged on as ADMIN. no kidding.
>> The other accts are admin level but network services are disabled.

> What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
> network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
> all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
> installed on the NIC.

I agree, this is the first time I've seen it.

>> on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate the
>> administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

> It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
> they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give the
> password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

Noo password is needed? This is good news.

>> The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
>> printers connected to PC (A).

> It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a routerable
> protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or wireless to
> wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui off the NIC
> on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on the Win XP
> machine's NIC.

Good point. I didn't look for neteui. Will check.

>> How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do
>> I need to do anything to the router's configuration?

> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>
> Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
> the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
> choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
> NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the the
> TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>
> You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
> possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
> someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top of
> your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.
>
> Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be applied
> in a P2P situation.
>
> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
>
> There is a link for Win 2K too.
>
> Duane

Duane, much thanks for taking the time to share your expertise via your
thoughtful response.
I haVen't had to set up p2p networking for > the a couple of years and just
forgot certain steps.
Will report back to group when I go out there to reconfigure the p2p
network. I'm doing this for an
employee who is temorarily disaaBLED.

Mike

Duane Arnold

Mike wrote:
> "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
> message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
> wizard, which you should
>
>>have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

> I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
> configuration in xp pro.
> Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
> desirable.

On XP you use Start Button and select the My Computer line right-click
it Properties/Name Tab and select the Change button, which will allow
you to select Domain or Workgroup and give a name the machine is to join.

Duane

Mike

Thanks

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:dQq2g.11272$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Mike wrote:
>> "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
>> message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
>> wizard, which you should
>>
>>>have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

>> I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
>> configuration in xp pro.
>> Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
>> desirable.
>>

> On XP you use Start Button and select the My Computer line right-click it
> Properties/Name Tab and select the Change button, which will allow you to
> select Domain or Workgroup and give a name the machine is to join.
>
> Duane

Mike

Mike

> "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
> message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
> wizard, which you should
>> have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

> I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
> configuration in xp pro.
> Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
> desirable.
>

>> & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
>>> firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

I've got the same configuration at home - xp pro & w2k pro wireless notebook
broadband
connection via DSL router. Bothj PCs have file print sharing enabled, both
belong to the dsame workgroup,
both getting TCP IP addresses via DHCP from the router. Both PCs have a
directory shared.

>> Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.
>>
>> However, xp pc has
>>> mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on
>>> PCs (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and
>>> access files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

>> Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
>> have networking working.

Disabled third party firewall on the w2k pc and xp pc. This makes me
nervous.
Can I disable the broadband connection - get off the internet and still
configure the
network?

Can ping the other PC from either PC.

> Will do.
>>
>>>Both can still access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on
>>>both pcs, but cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless
>>>administrator
>>> is logged on.

>> I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is it
>> that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

> I created log on accts for both pcs. When I logged onto the W2k notebook
> using one of the newly created admin accts network services are not
> accessible.
> Can only access network services when logged on as ADMIN. no kidding.
>>> The other accts are admin level but network services are disabled.

>> What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
>> network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
>> all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
>> installed on the NIC.

> I agree, this is the first time I've seen it.
>>
>>> on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate the
>>> administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

>> It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
>> they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give the
>> password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

Logged onto to both PCs using the same password and ADMIN level user name.

> Noo password is needed? This is good news.
>>

>>> The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
>>> printers connected to PC (A).

>> It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a routerable
>> protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or wireless to
>> wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui off the NIC
>> on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on the Win XP
>> machine's NIC.

> Good point. I didn't look for neteui. Will check.

netbeui not enabled on either PC. This is very frustrating as I had these
two PCs networked
in the past.

>>> How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem?
>>> Do
>>> I need to do anything to the router's configuration?

>> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>>
>> Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
>> the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
>> choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
>> NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the the
>> TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.
>>
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>>
>> You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
>> possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
>> someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top
>> of
>> your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.
>>
>> Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be applied
>> in a P2P situation.
>>
>> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
>>
>> There is a link for Win 2K too.
>>
>> Duane

> Duane, much thanks for taking the time to share your expertise via your
> thoughtful response.
> I haVen't had to set up p2p networking for > the a couple of years and
> just
> forgot certain steps.
> Will report back to group when I go out there to reconfigure the p2p
> network. I'm doing this for an
> employee who is temorarily disaaBLED.
>
> Mike

Mike

> [...]

>>> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>>>
>>> Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
>>> the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
>>> choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
>>> NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the
>>> the
>>> TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.
>>>
>>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>>>
>>> You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
>>> possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
>>> someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top
>>> of
>>> your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.
>>>
>>> Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be

Enabled simple file sharing on the XP Pro PC SP2, enabled print & file
sharing, setup a shared directory on both PCs,
disabled firewalls on both PCs (third party firewall on W2K Pro SP4 PC),
both PCs and router have unique IP addresses,
Can ping either PC from the other PC. PCs are getting IP addresses from DHCP
on DSL router.
Any suggestions what else I can do to share files and printers on these PCs?

Mike

Airman Thunderbird

Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install
Netbeui on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.