Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to extract just a small section of an MP3 from a longer one

How to extract just a small section of an MP3 from a longer one

Steve Freides

I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes
long. I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to
post on a web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any
other tool I already have? If so, some basic directions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

The Old Sourdough

Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes
> long. I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to
> post on a web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any
> other tool I already have? If so, some basic directions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine exactly
what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

--
The Old Sourdough
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is

philo

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes long.
>I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to post on a
>web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any other tool I
>already have? If so, some basic directions would be appreciated.

you can't edit from Media player but there are plenty of utilities that
allow you to edit...

since you have XP you might as well start with Windows Movie Maker..
it should be good enough to allow you to snip out a portion

Geoff Realname

philo wrote:
> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes long.
>> I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to post on a
>> web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any other tool I
>> already have? If so, some basic directions would be appreciated.
>>

> you can't edit from Media player but there are plenty of utilities that
> allow you to edit...
>
> since you have XP you might as well start with Windows Movie Maker..
> it should be good enough to allow you to snip out a portion

Try Audacity: more than you need, but it will do it.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Geoff

Steve Freides

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97AC91CFA156F1258ggbeerisgood@216.196.97.1 31...
> Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes
>> long. I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long
>> post on a web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or
>> any
>> other tool I already have? If so, some basic directions would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine
> exactly
> what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

Windows Media Player, and I think I have Roxio Creator in some version -
it came bundled with the machine but I bought an upgrade along the way.
I've only used Roxio for CD's. I also have Pinnacle Studio that I've
used to transfer digital video to my computer.

-S-

> --
> The Old Sourdough
> To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
> is
> half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to
> be.

The Old Sourdough

Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

snip>>
>> My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine
>> exactly
>> what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

> Windows Media Player, and I think I have Roxio Creator in some version -
> it came bundled with the machine but I bought an upgrade along the way.
> I've only used Roxio for CD's. I also have Pinnacle Studio that I've
> used to transfer digital video to my computer.
>
> -S-

OK. I'd agree with Geoff's post. Audacity will do everything you want (and
more). Get it from his link.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

(Just in case you don't see his post)

I don't know if Roxio has any sort of audio editor, Nero has one, but
Audacity is more versatile, IMO, and it's free.

--
The Old Sourdough
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Steve Freides

Thank you both.

news:Xns97ACCECA3BDD51258ggbeerisgood@216.196.97.1 31...
> Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> "The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> snip>>
>>> My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine
>>> exactly
>>> what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

>> Windows Media Player, and I think I have Roxio Creator in some
>> version -
>> it came bundled with the machine but I bought an upgrade along the
>> way.
>> I've only used Roxio for CD's. I also have Pinnacle Studio that I've
>> used to transfer digital video to my computer.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> OK. I'd agree with Geoff's post. Audacity will do everything you want
> (and
> more). Get it from his link.
>
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
>

> (Just in case you don't see his post)
>
> I don't know if Roxio has any sort of audio editor, Nero has one, but
> Audacity is more versatile, IMO, and it's free.
>

> --
> The Old Sourdough
> To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
> is
> half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to
> be.

Steve Freides

Saw a "Sound Editor" as part of what I have from Roxio, got it to do
what I needed after f%^&ing around with it for a while.

Thanks again to all who replied.