Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best Way To Make Weekly Backups?

Best Way To Make Weekly Backups?

Need Help

Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
question...

What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
onto a DVD-RW?

I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
date.

I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
data on the backup disk.

Any way of accomplishing this?

TIA

Bucky

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400, Need Help <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
>posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
>question...
>
>What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
>onto a DVD-RW?
>
>I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
>I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
>date.
>
>I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
>crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
>data on the backup disk.
>
>Any way of accomplishing this?

Not if you want to read from a DVD-RW. You need the OS with all the
files needed to access the DVD.

Far better get a second HD installed and use something like
taskzip(freeware) to backup your files.

old man

Or Acronis, which is, or you create - I cannot remember which - a bootable
cd which can be used to restore

"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400, Need Help <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
> >posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
> >question...
> >
> >What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
> >onto a DVD-RW?
> >
> >I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
> >I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
> >date.
> >
> >I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
> >crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
> >data on the backup disk.
> >
> >Any way of accomplishing this?
> >

> Not if you want to read from a DVD-RW. You need the OS with all the
> files needed to access the DVD.
>
> Far better get a second HD installed and use something like
> taskzip(freeware) to backup your files.

Whiskers

On 2006-04-21, Bucky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400, Need Help <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
>>posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
>>question...
>>
>>What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
>>onto a DVD-RW?
>>
>>I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
>>I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
>>date.
>>
>>I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
>>crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
>>data on the backup disk.
>>
>>Any way of accomplishing this?
>>

> Not if you want to read from a DVD-RW. You need the OS with all the
> files needed to access the DVD.
>
> Far better get a second HD installed and use something like
> taskzip(freeware) to backup your files.

External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable; there are
also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if that suits you
better. Apart from convenience and ease of use, having the back-ups in a
seperate box from the computer, means that you can store the back-ups
somewhere away from the computer - perhaps even in a different building -
which gives some extra protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake,
thieves, or whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Plato

Need Help wrote:

> Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
> posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
> question...
>
> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
> onto a DVD-RW?

Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Need Help
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
> posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
> question...
>
> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
> onto a DVD-RW?
>
> I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
> I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
> date.
>
> I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
> crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
> data on the backup disk.
>
> Any way of accomplishing this?

Of course; use networked storage or upload the file somewhere.

If you 're going to use a DVD-RW, use a script that prepares the disc
properly.
That may be to copy to the computer, clear the disc, then write it all
back to the disc with the new file.

Blinky the Shark

Whiskers wrote:

> External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
> there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if
> that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of use,
> having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer, means
> that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the computer
> - perhaps even in a different building - which gives some extra
> protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake, thieves, or
> whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

Shark fishermen.

--
Blinky
Kill-filing all posts from Google Groups

clot

Need Help wrote:
> Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
> posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
> question...
>
> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
> onto a DVD-RW?
>
> I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
> I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
> date.
>
> I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
> crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
> data on the backup disk.
>
> Any way of accomplishing this?

I second Bucky's approach. Use Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image then
you've got a second drive to replace a duff one with all systems go.

clot

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
>> there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if
>> that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of use,
>> having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer, means
>> that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the computer
>> - perhaps even in a different building - which gives some extra
>> protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake, thieves, or
>> whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

> Shark fishermen.

Sharks if you're human! Sharks if you're a fish! Algae if you see a
basking shark!

Blinky the Shark

clot wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:
>>
>>> External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
>>> there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have,
>>> if that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of
>>> use, having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer,
>>> means that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the
>>> computer - perhaps even in a different building - which gives
>>> some extra protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake,
>>> thieves, or whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

>> Shark fishermen.

> Sharks if you're human! Sharks if you're a fish! Algae if you
> see a basking shark!

<basking> Well, it *has* been sunny and warm, lately.