Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2 computers, both online, both invisible to each other ?

2 computers, both online, both invisible to each other ?

i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)

both plugged into a linksys router

both capable of getting on the internet

and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box

but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
which comp i use

i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
to the newer comp over my LAN

thanks

~b~

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

b wrote:
> i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)
>
> both plugged into a linksys router
>
> both capable of getting on the internet
>

> and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
> another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box
>

> but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
> which comp i use
>
> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
> to the newer comp over my LAN.

On both machines, click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network
Setup Wizard, follow the steps. Workgroup name has to be exactly the
same on both machines.

Duane Arnold

b wrote:
> i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)
>
> both plugged into a linksys router
>
> both capable of getting on the internet
>

> and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
> another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box
>

> but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
> which comp i use
>
> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
> to the newer comp over my LAN

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
would not network or couldn't see each other.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm

Duane

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>b wrote:
>> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some
>> files to the newer comp over my LAN.

> On both machines, click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network
> Setup Wizard, follow the steps. Workgroup name has to be exactly the same
> on both machines.

i did that, restarted, re-did that, and it hasn't worked =(

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:VDQ1g.6408$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>b wrote:
>>
>> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some
>> files to the newer comp over my LAN
>>

> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>
> You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
> Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that would
> not network or couldn't see each other.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>
> Duane

thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

Walter Mautner

b wrote:

> "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in

>> You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
>> Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
>> would not network or couldn't see each other.
>>
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>>
>> Duane

> thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

Interesting . Now generally it is desireable to use as few network
protocols as possible, but for a 2-computer network will be no bad
aftermath. Maybe the linksys router has a firewall that by default also
disables netbios ports on the LAN side if not configured as "trusted
network" ...
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Duane Arnold

Walter Mautner wrote:
> b wrote:
>

>>"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in

>>>You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
>>>Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
>>>would not network or couldn't see each other.
>>>
>>>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>>>
>>>Duane

>>thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

> Interesting . Now generally it is desireable to use as few network
> protocols as possible, but for a 2-computer network will be no bad
> aftermath. Maybe the linksys router has a firewall that by default also
> disables netbios ports on the LAN side if not configured as "trusted
> network" ...

I could see that being said on a wireless Linksys router as I had the
problem between wire and wireless machine with Netbuei, because Netbeui
is not a routable protocol on Win 2k machines.

That's when I switched to NWlink and no more problems. The Linksys on
the wired side never had a problem with just Client for MS network,
F&PS for MS networks and TCP/IP on the NIC's when the wireless went out,
even when the machines were switched to XP Pro. Now that's all I use as
the network services and protocols on the NIC's with the Watchguard
protecting the network.

However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.

The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
in use and why I don't know.

If all else fails, then one can use NWlink.

Duane

Walter Mautner

Duane Arnold wrote:

> However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
> couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.
>
> The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
> not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
> in use and why I don't know.
>
> If all else fails, then one can use NWlink.
>
> Duane

Still curious. If it isn't the xp firewall blocking, maybe they or one of
the computers had another wonnabe-"firewall" like norton (antivirus, latest
version, makes a nice one without customization possibilities for a
network, forcing home-networked users to call expensive support and finally
either trash the thing or upgrade - costly - to full internet security
center) or zonealarm improperly configured ... or some others.
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Duane Arnold

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Duane Arnold wrote:

>> However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
>> couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.
>>
>> The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
>> not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
>> in use and why I don't know.
>>
>> If all else fails, then one can use NWlink.
>>
>> Duane

> Still curious. If it isn't the xp firewall blocking, maybe they or one of
> the computers had another wonnabe-"firewall" like norton (antivirus,
> latest
> version, makes a nice one without customization possibilities for a
> network, forcing home-networked users to call expensive support and
> finally
> either trash the thing or upgrade - costly - to full internet security
> center) or zonealarm improperly configured ... or some others.

If the ports are blocked, they are blocked by any host based packet
filtering solution XP's FW or some other packet filtering solution. That's
UDP 137-139 and TCP 445. So I don't see that as being the problem due to
protocols being changed, as the ports would still be blocked.

I'll have to go with what the OP indicated that there were no packet
filtering FW solutions active.

I have seen this problem too many times where the protocols in use for
whatever reason didn't allow networking to occur and no PFW of any kind was
active. The PFW(s) were not active in the wireless Linksys issue that I had
.. The person I worked with that had issues with networking using his Linksys
wire router at the time had no PFW active either.

I'll give it that for whatever reason in a router firmware that routing of
the protocols couldn't occur, which I have made the suggestion of using
NWlink numerous times in the wireless NG(s) and that allowed the networking.
The PFW in all cases were deactived.

However, on the Linksys BEFW11S4 V1 router at the time, that was using
Netbuei on the Win 2k machines, they were not going to network and that was
a known issue.

The solution that corrected the problem was to use NWlink and move on.

It's simple.

Duane

Plato