Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > emailing large files

emailing large files

Slack

I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25% complete.

How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
_____
Slack

Blinky the Shark

Slack wrote:

> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25% complete.

I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
> Slack

FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Slack

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
>> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
>> complete.

> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.
>
>> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
>> Slack

> FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
> SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
> have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
> there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

Cool... thanks for the ideas.

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
> Slack wrote:
>
>> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
>> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
>> complete.

> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I have
the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but we own the
server ;o)

>> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
>> _____ Slack

> FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space
> at SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace
> if you have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set
> yourself up there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

Another option is file splitting software: break it into chunks and email it
a piece at a time. It is likely to overload the recipients storage quota
though, so the recipient would probably need to get them saved locally and
off the ISP's server before you send the next piece. Of course, the
recipient would also need the correct software to put it back together
again.

That's how I used to get my MP3s to work before I had other options. Now,
with CD/DVD burners, no-limit email, USB drives, etc., I don't bother with
file splitting.

Plato

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

Many fine ISPs only give you 10 or 20 meg of space for your email
accounts.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Toolman Tim wrote:

> For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I have
> the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but we own the
> server ;o)

Same here. I've sent the ISOs for Fedora to someone else on the network
by email. Then when I have to deal with sending a big file to people on
other servers it's frequently a 2MB limit per email.

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Another option is file splitting software: break it into chunks and
> email it a piece at a time. It is likely to overload the recipients
> storage quota though, so the recipient would probably need to get them
> saved locally and off the ISP's server before you send the next piece.
> Of course, the recipient would also need the correct software to put it
> back together again.

I just ran across a bit of kit last night (on a web site, not in the
closet) that I'd forgot all about. It was from back when everyone was on
a dialup. Do you remember "shotgun modems"? Diamond had a proprietary
thing going where you could use one of their shotgun modems and
*two* phone lines and get twice the bandwidth (112Kb/s). But your ISP had
to have the complimentary setup at the other end. Netcom did, for a
while, but I think the providers that did were pretty few and far between.
And yes, the data *was* somehow split between the two lines and rejoined
at the other end; it wasn't like having two separate lines and modems
(which I have, now, still, between my four systems <g>).

--

Rgr wrote:

> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I
>> have the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but
>> we own the server ;o)

> Same here. I've sent the ISOs for Fedora to someone else on the network by
> email. Then when I have to deal with sending a big file to people on other
> servers it's frequently a 2MB limit per email.

I've heard of 1MB limits, as well. I think my ISP has one, in fact.

--

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:35:02 -0700, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
>> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

> Many fine ISPs only give you 10 or 20 meg of space for your email
> accounts.

Yeah, I just found out on my yahoo account it caps at 20MB. Sheesh, that
aint squat these days with broadband... come-on, 100MB should be standard
<g>
_____
Slack

wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
>> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
>> complete.

> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.
>
>> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
>> Slack

> FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
> SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
> have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
> there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

I just a test at yousendit.com and it worked Look like a free account
can send up to 50MB. Hopefully, I don't get a bunch of homo-erotica spam
for signing up. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll have a new ISP in a
few weeks, anyway.

Thanks [everyone] for the suggestions.
_____
Slack