Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 3.5 floppy drive

3.5 floppy drive

Joe

HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted before
and I don't want to lose what is on it.

--
Joe
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)YY

Gordon

Joe wrote:

> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
> put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
> before and I don't want to lose what is on it.

Try the disk in another drive - if it acts normally then your floppy drive
needs renewing.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Plato

Joe wrote:

> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
> put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted before
> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

Disk drives dont last forever.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

me

news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
> put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
> before
> and I don't want to lose what is on it.
>
> --
> Joe
> (E-Mail Removed)YY
> remove BBB YYY

Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.

Blinky the Shark

me wrote:

> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
>> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
>> before
>> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.

When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?

OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.

I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
US.)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Meat Plow

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:11:54 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> me wrote:
>

>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
>>> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
>>> before
>>> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821152005

> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
>
> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
>
> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
> US.)

I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it. However
I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just in case.

Mikey

Joe wrote:

> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
> put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted before
> and I don't want to lose what is on it.
>
> --
> Joe
> (E-Mail Removed)YY
> remove BBB YYY

I had the exact same problem with a floppy drive that had worked okay for
years. The drive had died, I replaced it and everything was fine.

Margolotta

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:11:54 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) .net>):

> me wrote:
>

>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
>>> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
>>> before
>>> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821152005

> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
>
> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
>
> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
> US.)

I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com had
1GB pen drives on offer for 10 (roughly US$1 - now that's a lot of storage
for the price of a new floppy drive!

Blinky the Shark

Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:11:54 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> me wrote:
>>

>>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...

>>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821152005

>> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
>>
>> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
>> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
>>
>> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
>> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
>> prices US.)

> I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it. However
> I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just in case.

JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you saw
anything distributed on floppies?

--

Margolotta wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:11:54 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote (in article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .net>):
>
>> me wrote:
>>

>>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:0Za1g.4000$(E-Mail Removed) t...

>>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821152005

>> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
>>
>> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
>> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
>>
>> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
>> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
>> prices US.)
>>

> I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com
> had 1GB pen drives on offer for 10 (roughly US$1 - now that's a lot of
> storage for the price of a new floppy drive!

Indeed. I only buy Lexar, though; I did buy a Corsair 1-gigger for a
friend (and would've for me, had I not stuck with Lexar).