Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External HD Problem

External HD Problem

Armitage

I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
also connects to my computer via USB.

Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please Insert a
Disk Into Drive F:"

I've Googled the problem,but have yet to find a solution.

I'm running a P4,WinXP with 768 mb's RAM.

Peaches

"Armitage" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
> worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
> also connects to my computer via USB.
>
> Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please Insert
> Disk Into Drive F:"
>
> I've Googled the problem,but have yet to find a solution.
>
> I'm running a P4,WinXP with 768 mb's RAM.

Probably a resource conflict:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575/en-us

Dan Evans

"Armitage" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
> worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
> also connects to my computer via USB.
>
> Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please Insert
> Disk Into Drive F:"

Is it a photo printer with a card reader built in? If so then the printer is
being recognised first, so the card reader is being allocated a drive letter
before the external drive.

Dan

Armitage

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:444578fe$0$24133$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Armitage" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
> > worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
> > also connects to my computer via USB.
> >
> > Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please

Insert
> > Disk Into Drive F:"

> Is it a photo printer with a card reader built in?

Yes,it is a photo printer with a card reader.

>If so then the printer is
> being recognised first, so the card reader is being allocated a drive

letter
> before the external drive.

After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?

Ulf Seibelt

Armitage wrote:

> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP

Ulf

Meat Plow

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:29 +0200, Ulf Seibelt wrote:

> Armitage wrote:
>>
>> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
>> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
>> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
>>

> How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP

Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
make a malfuncting drive function once again?

Ulf Seibelt

Meat Plow wrote:

> > Armitage wrote:
> >>
> >> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
> >> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
> >> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
> >>

> > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307844
> >

> Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
> make a malfuncting drive function once again?

It would not. I assume that the drive has no problem at all.
It only seemed to "Armitage" that it doesn't work because he
tried to access F: but this is its card reader now.

Armitage

"Ulf Seibelt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Meat Plow wrote:

for the

again?

> > > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307844
> > >

> > Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction

or
> > make a malfuncting drive function once again?

> It would not. I assume that the drive has no problem at all.
> It only seemed to "Armitage" that it doesn't work because he
> tried to access F: but this is its card reader now.

You would be correct.
The HD functioned just fine,but I could not access it,after changing the
drive letter to G: I am now able to access the drive.

Thanks for the help.

Dan Evans

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:29 +0200, Ulf Seibelt wrote:
>
>> Armitage wrote:
>>>
>>> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for
>>> the
>>> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
>>> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
>>>

>> How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
>>

> Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
> make a malfuncting drive function once again?

It's not malfunctioning, but the OP is wanting to access the drive through
F:\ where the USB drive was before, but now F:\ is an empty card reader.

Dan