Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer hangs after a few minutes

Computer hangs after a few minutes

arunr.iyer@gmail.com

For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
foll.:
1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.

Machine Specs:
INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
256 MB DDRAM

What I tried to do-
1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
nothing happened.
2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
started coming up very frequently.

Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
says...
> For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
> foll.:
> 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
> everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
>
> Machine Specs:
> INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
> 256 MB DDRAM
>
> What I tried to do-
> 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
> that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
> nothing happened.
> 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
> ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
> time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
> 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
> started coming up very frequently.
>
> Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

I'll probably get bashed for this advice (hello you! YKWIM) but here
goes.

A while back, one of my XP boxes was forever locking up and generally
behaving badly. I traced it to something I really didn't expect, which
was hard disk problems. The disk was basically screwing up due to
deteriorating clusters. I found a program called HDD Regenerator which
you have to use by making a bootable floppy, which helped cure the
problem to the stage where the same drives are now perfectly healthy
with no bad clusters.

Google for it. It's worth a go. It's bloody slow if it's a large disk
but I left it running overnight and it found/fixed a load of bad
clusters on a Maxtor 80GB hard drive. It worked for me, so make of that
what you will.

FR

phrogee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
> foll.:
> 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
> everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
>
> Machine Specs:
> INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
> 256 MB DDRAM
>
> What I tried to do-
> 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
> that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
> nothing happened.
> 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
> ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
> time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
> 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
> started coming up very frequently.
>
> Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

Run a diagnostic test on your hard drive if you can. Sounds like it's ready
for a long vacation.

--
phrogee

Wintr

> For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
> foll.:
> 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
> everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
>
> Machine Specs:
> INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
> 256 MB DDRAM
>
> What I tried to do-
> 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
> that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
> nothing happened.
> 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
> ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
> time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
> 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
> started coming up very frequently.
>
> Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

I've had a very very recent problem just like this. Checked and changed
everything but hard drive, but it wasnt the cause. Turned out the video
card was failing and would cause the machine to freeze. Then it even
made it reboot once or twice as well. Changed the video card and viola!
everything is now hunky dory with it. So in essence it could be
anything, graphics driver may not be to blame as in my case it was
hardware. So I'd say check everything but I'd look to power, hard
drive, graphics, ram, etc.etc.

As an aside I will add that my machine too became reset/power off only.

Peaches

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
> foll.:
> 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
> everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
>
> Machine Specs:
> INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
> 256 MB DDRAM
>
> What I tried to do-
> 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
> that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
> nothing happened.
> 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
> ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
> time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
> 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
> started coming up very frequently.
>
> Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

You seem to be messing about too much with it?
It functioned OK for several hours in safe mode? -
Then it's not the graphics driver that is the cause is it. I'm not following
your logic? In safe mode nearly all software if disabled, so I would opt
it is a software issue?
You installed Win98? - With correct drivers and updates/patches etc? I doubt
it.
Have you checked msconfig for startup apps and processes?