Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Remote Desktop w/UltraVNC and NAT device

Remote Desktop w/UltraVNC and NAT device

Krusher

I recently got DSL and wanted to remote into my computers using
UltraVNC. The problem is that my provider (Earthlink/Sprint) has given
me a modem (zyXEL 660 series) which is also a NAT Router (their words
not mine). Because of this I am having a heckuva a time getting my
wireless router to forward the ports.

Here's the setup: Internet --> DSL Modem --> D-Link Router (DI-524)
--> Computers on LAN

I have read that it might not be possible to forward ports and whatnot
becasue of the nature of NAT. I know there are alternatives like
Hamachi and OpenVPN, but I was hoping to only have to use the VNC
client. If anyone has any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

pcbutts1

You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT or
forward ports.
ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf

"Krusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently got DSL and wanted to remote into my computers using
> UltraVNC. The problem is that my provider (Earthlink/Sprint) has given
> me a modem (zyXEL 660 series) which is also a NAT Router (their words
> not mine). Because of this I am having a heckuva a time getting my
> wireless router to forward the ports.
>
> Here's the setup: Internet --> DSL Modem --> D-Link Router (DI-524)
> --> Computers on LAN
>
> I have read that it might not be possible to forward ports and whatnot
> becasue of the nature of NAT. I know there are alternatives like
> Hamachi and OpenVPN, but I was hoping to only have to use the VNC
> client. If anyone has any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

Duane Arnold

pcbutts1 wrote:
> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT or
> forward ports.
> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf

Hey, you're not being hammered about posting a link.

I can't believe it.

Duane

Toolman Tim

In news:ZZW0g.3618$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET spewed forth:
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT
>> or forward ports.
>> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf
>>

> Hey, you're not being hammered about posting a link.
>
> I can't believe it.
>
> Duane

LOL!! Yeah - his personal stalker must have the afternoon off...

Duane Arnold

news:v0X0g.212$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:ZZW0g.3618$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
> Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET spewed forth:
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>>> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT
>>> or forward ports.
>>> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf
>>>

>> Hey, you're not being hammered about posting a link.
>>
>> I can't believe it.
>>
>> Duane

> LOL!! Yeah - his personal stalker must have the afternoon off...

<g>

Duane

pcbutts1

Or use this link
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/P6...UsersGuide.pdf

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT or
> forward ports.
> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf

> "Krusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I recently got DSL and wanted to remote into my computers using
>> UltraVNC. The problem is that my provider (Earthlink/Sprint) has given
>> me a modem (zyXEL 660 series) which is also a NAT Router (their words
>> not mine). Because of this I am having a heckuva a time getting my
>> wireless router to forward the ports.
>>
>> Here's the setup: Internet --> DSL Modem --> D-Link Router (DI-524)
>> --> Computers on LAN
>>
>> I have read that it might not be possible to forward ports and whatnot
>> becasue of the nature of NAT. I know there are alternatives like
>> Hamachi and OpenVPN, but I was hoping to only have to use the VNC
>> client. If anyone has any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

pcbutts1

Watch this.

;0)

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:ZZW0g.3618$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT or
>> forward ports.
>> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf
>>

> Hey, you're not being hammered about posting a link.
>
> I can't believe it.
>
> Duane

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I recently got DSL and wanted to remote into my computers using
> UltraVNC. The problem is that my provider (Earthlink/Sprint) has given
> me a modem (zyXEL 660 series) which is also a NAT Router (their words
> not mine). Because of this I am having a heckuva a time getting my
> wireless router to forward the ports.
>
> Here's the setup: Internet --> DSL Modem --> D-Link Router (DI-524)
> --> Computers on LAN
>
> I have read that it might not be possible to forward ports and whatnot
> becasue of the nature of NAT. I know there are alternatives like
> Hamachi and OpenVPN, but I was hoping to only have to use the VNC
> client. If anyone has any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

Your providers modem needs to be put in "Bridge" mode, call their
support group and ask them how. In bridge mode your own D-Link router
will do the authentication and get you a public IP. Once you have bridge
mode working and your D-Link gets an IP, you can forward all you want.

Keep in mind, if you are doing this from work, and you don't have the
permission of the company you work for, you may be disciplined for it.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos

In article <v0X0g.212$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
> In news:ZZW0g.3618$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
> Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET spewed forth:
> > pcbutts1 wrote:
> >> You can get a manual from here, it tells you how to turn off the NAT
> >> or forward ports.
> >> ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P660_Series/d...UsersGuide.pdf
> >>

> > Hey, you're not being hammered about posting a link.
> >
> > I can't believe it.
> >
> > Duane

> LOL!! Yeah - his personal stalker must have the afternoon off...

Yea, he posted a link to the "Vendors" site, why would anyone complain
about that.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

why?

On 17 Apr 2006 17:28:41 -0700, Krusher wrote:

>I recently got DSL and wanted to remote into my computers using
>UltraVNC. The problem is that my provider (Earthlink/Sprint) has given
>me a modem (zyXEL 660 series) which is also a NAT Router (their words
>not mine). Because of this I am having a heckuva a time getting my
>wireless router to forward the ports.

Try , as mentioned in other posts, searching 24HSHD or just,
http://www.portforward.com/

<snip>

Me