Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Speaker Question

Speaker Question

Scribner

I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
the wall? Thanks.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:

> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
> has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
> the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
> the wall? Thanks.

Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

Scribner

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
>> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
>> has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
>> the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
>> the wall? Thanks.

>Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Scribner spewed forth:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
>>> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more,
>>> it has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches
>>> from the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or
>>> less, from the wall? Thanks.

>> Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

I would say in a smallish enviroment where you aren't cranking amps through
it, you might be okay. But the port clearance is important to your bass
reproduction at good signal levels. If the port is blocked, the woofer
movement is restricted by back pressure. So if you like things LOUD you
really might have an issue.

There are (or at least used to be) speaker systems which are ported to the
front - you might do some more shopping.

thanatoid

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center
>> speaker. I saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that
>> my TV. What's more, it has a port in the rear. JBL says
>> that the port must be 5 inches from the wall. How bad
>> would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from the
>> wall? Thanks.

> Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

The 5 inches distance is for low frequency dispersion/refection,
which the subwoofer and other speakers should be taking care of
if the rest of your speakers are any good. Well, I guess it
depends on the soundtrack, but the center speaker is generally
intended for dialogue.

It probably won't make that much of a difference but doing what
Meat Plow suggests is the only way to find out. (Not to mention
ANY speaker will sound TOTALLY different in your place than in
any store.)

Also, have you considered moving your TV a couple of inches
forward? TV's (everything, really) need decent air circulation
to prevent overheating. Check you manual, it probably recommends
5 (or MORE) inches from the wall in the first place.

I know little about home theaters, except that Bose should be
forever
cursed for being the first to come up with those awful 3x3"
speakers and a subwoofer. At least they were very good
*quality*, but still *sounded* terrible IMO. Barely adequate
even for discreet restaurant use - their original target. All
the knock-offs you see now are just total garbage, again, IMO.
And, again IMO, JBL's are not that great (well, better than
many, still), just well-known. They used to be REALLY good a
LONG time before there was even VHS. Due to market realities, a
lot of traditionally quality companies now make cheap crap
(notwithstanding their expensive stuff can be very good) -
*especially* for the computer market. Klipsch used to make
INCREDIBLE speakers, as did Polk Audio, but their computer
speakers are crap like all the others. If you want good sound
out of your computer, dig your old stereo out from the pile in
the basement or get one at a garage sale or something.

Depending on how important looks etc. are to you, you might be
able to find a really good speaker of a brand you may have never
heard of which will sound a *lot* better. It may even be a
normal stereo-type speaker which you can hang above the TV
rather than setting it on top. You won't believe how much better
the sound will be. (Of course, you may then decide to change all
your speakers... It can get a little hairy. I just stick to 2
channels, personally. Life is complicated enough.)

Also, many believe that all speakers in a well-sounding balanced
system should be of a matched set by the same manufacturer. And
most REALLY good speakers used to be made by people who didn't
make home theater speaker systems. But things are changing.

Just a little ranting to pass the time...

Good luck.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:41:08 +0000, Scribner wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
>>> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
>>> has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
>>> the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
>>> the wall? Thanks.

>>Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

No homework can substitute what the **** you hear, Imbecile.

Scribner

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:29:13 -0500, thanatoid
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>the basement or get one at a garage sale or something.
>
>Depending on how important looks etc. are to you, you might be
>able to find a really good speaker of a brand you may have never
>heard of which will sound a *lot* better. It may even be a
>normal stereo-type speaker which you can hang above the TV
>rather than setting it on top. You won't believe how much better
>the sound will be. (Of course, you may then decide to change all
>your speakers... It can get a little hairy. I just stick to 2
>channels, personally. Life is complicated enough.)
>
>Also, many believe that all speakers in a well-sounding balanced
>system should be of a matched set by the same manufacturer. And
>most REALLY good speakers used to be made by people who didn't
>make home theater speaker systems. But things are changing.
>
>Just a little ranting to pass the time...

Ok, if I need the port free, why can't I put an elbow pipe over the
port and re-direct the air flow sideways instead of straight back?

Scribner

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:29:31 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:41:08 +0000, Scribner wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

>> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

>No homework can substitute what the **** you hear, Imbecile.

But homework can weed out the **** so that I can concentrate on the
variations of good.

Scribner

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:04:04 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Scribner spewed forth:
>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

>> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

>I would say in a smallish enviroment where you aren't cranking amps through
>it, you might be okay. But the port clearance is important to your bass
>reproduction at good signal levels. If the port is blocked, the woofer
>movement is restricted by back pressure. So if you like things LOUD you
>really might have an issue.
>
>There are (or at least used to be) speaker systems which are ported to the
>front - you might do some more shopping.

Thanks.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Scribner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok, if I need the port free, why can't I put an elbow pipe over the
> port and re-direct the air flow sideways instead of straight back?

It's not about FLOW, it's about the waves coming out -- they go both an
and out, and the shape of surfaces behind should make a difference.

If I had a problem like you are describing, I'd try to point the
speaker downward, put some kind of wedge baffle behind it, or find some
way to install it as directed.
I think pushing it toward the wall is going to dampen all of the
benefit, or at worst create vibration in the wall or supports.