Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Program not responding

Program not responding

Alistair Macdonald

Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the space
provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down of recently
visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The program is not
responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click
Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status of th program and how do I
correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly and I
can access web sites via Google.
Alistair

fred-bloggs

"Alistair Macdonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the
> space provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down
> of recently visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The
> program is not responding. To return to Windows and check the status
> of the program, click Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status
> of th program and how do I correct the fault? All other facilities
> appear to be working properly and I can access web sites via Google.
> Alistair

Have you updated windows recently?
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=19125

--
fred

Karel

Well... To check the status of the app you can press "ctrl+Alt+Delete".
Did you try another browser like Mozilla

--
Kare
Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.i

Evan Platt

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:25:07 +0100, "Alistair Macdonald"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the space
>provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down of recently
>visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The program is not
>responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click
>Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status of th program and how do I
>correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly and I
>can access web sites via Google.
>Alistair

Operating system?
Version of IE?

Try another browser.

Alistair Macdonald

Fred and others,
I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the last
few weeks so that may be the culprit.
Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in the
Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files. The much
mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.
Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it with
a follow up?
As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
Changing my browser is not an option!
Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?
Alistair

Jimchip

On 2006-04-18, Alistair Macdonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Fred and others,
> I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
> others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the last
> few weeks so that may be the culprit.
> Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in the
> Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files. The much
> mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.

If you are not running HP "Share-to-web" and you are not running Kerio then
there isn't a fix I know of, if the reference addresses your problem at all.

> Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it with
> a follow up?

Probably, but don't hold your breath.

> As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
> reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
> Changing my browser is not an option!

Why not? Export your book marks or just install Firefox and it will just
import for you directly.

> Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?

Try a different browser. You don't have to keep using it if it doesn't work.

--
Downloading a new browser and trying it is about the easiest thing to do.

fred-bloggs

"Alistair Macdonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described
> in the Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program
> files

If want to disable HP share to web
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/hp.vbs

To uninstall the update
Start Menu
Run...
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB908531$\spuninst\spuninst .exe
OK

--
fred

Peaches

"Alistair Macdonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred and others,
> I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
> others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the
> last few weeks so that may be the culprit.
> Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in
> the Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files.

MS updates/patches/hotfixes are found:
Start/settings/Control Panel/Add,Remove programs

> mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.
> Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it
> with a follow up?
> As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
> reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
> Changing my browser is not an option!

Yes, you can use any browser you want to, you don't UNinstall IE,
You download and run in parallel.

> Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?
> Alistair

Try this:
You posted via OE, so these links should be viable,
The first is google, and the second is BT's homepage,
Try them, if IE loads and takes you to the sites, you have
two options. With the site loaded, click on
File/Send/Shortcut to desktop
An Icon will be placed on your desktop and you can
access the sites directly from the newly created desktop-
shortcut(s). Alternatively add them to favorites:
With site loaded, Click "Favorites"/Add to favorites.
I'm assuming you know how to access favorites?
If not and you are unfamiliar, try it now -
GoTo: Start/Favorites and a list may already be there
of sites including your BT homepage.
These are direct links to sites, you can add/remove any
site to favorites.

http://www.google.co.uk/

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail...ding_page.html

Peaches

"Alistair Macdonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the space
> provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down of
> recently visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The program is
> not responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program,
> click Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status of th program and how
> do I correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly
> and I can access web sites via Google.
> Alistair

Au79 posted of some problems with a MS security update that
has transpired to be widespread, here is the MS article, and
some aspects of your problem could be caused by this?:

Alistair Macdonald

Thanks to all for the wealth of advice received. I've learnt a lot, and
there was a happy ending. I logged on as usual this morning expecting the
continuing worst, but no. The address bar was re-instated, as was the drop
down of recently visited sites, so all is now running smoothly.
One thing has emerged to my possible advantage. For some time I have been
considering switching my browser, but hesitated believing that a new system
would automatically uninstall the original leaving me with an unknown
quantity. I now understand that they would run in parallel, each accessible
at the click of the mouse.
That's the end of this story. Thanks again.
Alistair