Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > KVM switch question

KVM switch question

Paul Burdett

Hi,
I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM switch.
I'm currently running 2 computers with a single mouse,keyboard and monitor.
It works fine and I'm able to switch between computers by simply pressing
the appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2). However,
the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key ,
does not work. I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour to
find a solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on Tuesday,
but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm
running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after pressing the
scroll lock key twice are two beeps.
Cheers,
Paul

Duane Arnold

"Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hi,
> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
> switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a single mouse,keyboard and
> monitor. It works fine and I'm able to switch between computers by simply
> pressing the appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2).
> However, the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll lock- scroll lock-
> number key , does not work. I've tried other combinations...googled for
> the last hour to find a solution, but have come up blank. I will call the
> company on Tuesday, but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep
> it clean lol). I'm running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens
> after pressing the scroll lock key twice are two beeps.

Did you pull the keyboard plugs from the KMV and unplug the KMV from the
computers?
Did you plug it all back in again to see if that fixed it?

If it's under warrantee, then send it back and get another one if it cannot
be fixed.

I had a cheap Belkin KMV that the hot-key combination stopped working after
a few months. The KMV hit the trash. When I get another KMV switch, it's
going to be like the Blackbox that was used at the company in the server
rooms, which were better but not cheap.

Duane

Duane

Supersano

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:28:52 +1000, Paul Burdett wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM switch.
> I'm currently running 2 computers with a single mouse,keyboard and monitor.
> It works fine and I'm able to switch between computers by simply pressing
> the appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2). However,
> the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key ,
> does not work. I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour to
> find a solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on Tuesday,
> but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm
> running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after pressing the
> scroll lock key twice are two beeps.
> Cheers,
> Paul

The couple of KVMs I've seen use a double Ctrl tap to switch between
boxen. One was a Linksys, the other an older, bigger one, but they both
used the same keystrokes.

--
There's no gay cowboy like a lesbian cowboy.
Thanks groo-- AFCA Summary03-31-06

Paul Burdett

"Supersano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:28:52 +1000, Paul Burdett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
>> switch.
>> I'm currently running 2 computers with a single mouse,keyboard and
>> monitor.
>> It works fine and I'm able to switch between computers by simply pressing
>> the appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2).
>> However,
>> the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key
>> ,
>> does not work. I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour
>> find a solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on
>> Tuesday,
>> but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm
>> running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after pressing the
>> scroll lock key twice are two beeps.
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

> The couple of KVMs I've seen use a double Ctrl tap to switch between
> boxen. One was a Linksys, the other an older, bigger one, but they both
> used the same keystrokes.
>
> --
> There's no gay cowboy like a lesbian cowboy.
> Thanks groo-- AFCA Summary03-31-06

Thanks, but that doesn't work either.

Paul Burdett

"Supersano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:28:52 +1000, Paul Burdett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
>> switch.
>> I'm currently running 2 computers with a single mouse,keyboard and
>> monitor.
>> It works fine and I'm able to switch between computers by simply pressing
>> the appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2).
>> However,
>> the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key
>> ,
>> does not work. I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour
>> find a solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on
>> Tuesday,
>> but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm
>> running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after pressing the
>> scroll lock key twice are two beeps.
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

> The couple of KVMs I've seen use a double Ctrl tap to switch between
> boxen. One was a Linksys, the other an older, bigger one, but they both
> used the same keystrokes.
>
> --
> There's no gay cowboy like a lesbian cowboy.
> Thanks groo-- AFCA Summary03-31-06

Thank you...I already tried that combination..still doesn't work.
Paul

Toolman Tim

In news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u,
Paul Burdett spewed forth:
> Hi,
> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
> switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a single
> mouse,keyboard and monitor. It works fine and I'm able to switch
> between computers by simply pressing the appropriate button on the
> front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2). However, the keyboard hot-key
> combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key , does not work.
> I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour to find a
> solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on Tuesday,
> but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol).
> I'm running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after
> pressing the scroll lock key twice are two beeps. Cheers,
> Paul

Mine switches into a 'scan mode' with scroll lock, scroll lock, space. If
that is followed by another space, if locks onto that PC.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

thanatoid

"Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> Hi,
> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port
> AUTO KVM switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a
> single mouse,keyboard and monitor. It works fine and I'm
> able to switch between computers by simply pressing the
> appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or
> PC2). However, the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll
> lock- scroll lock- number key , does not work. I've tried
> other combinations...googled for the last hour to find a
> solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company
> on Tuesday, but I thought someone here may have a
> suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm running win xp pro on
> both computers. All that happens after pressing the scroll
> lock key twice are two beeps. Cheers,
> Paul

Not crazy about the brand name of your KVM. Also, why did you
buy a 4-port unit if you only have 2 machines? (I tend to be
curious, sorry.)

I have two machines and I bought a linksys (cisco I think) KV-2
mini-switch (I think it's the same as the Belkin one but belkins
may be cheap copies or linksys quality control rejects (like a
lot of the more esoteric "radio shack" stuff is - or at least
was). It uses a double "scroll lock" to switch, I plugged it in
about 15 months ago and the only thought I have ever had since
then is what a great purchase it was. They cost about $30 in the
States.

--
"everything's ducky"

Paul Burdett

newsIs0g.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u,
> Paul Burdett spewed forth:
>> Hi,
>> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
>> switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a single
>> mouse,keyboard and monitor. It works fine and I'm able to switch
>> between computers by simply pressing the appropriate button on the
>> front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2). However, the keyboard hot-key
>> combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key , does not work.
>> I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour to find a
>> solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on Tuesday,
>> but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it clean lol).
>> I'm running win xp pro on both computers. All that happens after
>> pressing the scroll lock key twice are two beeps. Cheers,
>> Paul

> Mine switches into a 'scan mode' with scroll lock, scroll lock, space. If
> that is followed by another space, if locks onto that PC.

Hey..that works!! it's a different hotkey combination from the manual...but
what the heck...it works..thanks!!
Paul

Paul Burdett

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>
>> Hi,
>> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port
>> AUTO KVM switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a
>> single mouse,keyboard and monitor. It works fine and I'm
>> able to switch between computers by simply pressing the
>> appropriate button on the front of the kvm box. (PC1 or
>> PC2). However, the keyboard hot-key combination of scroll
>> lock- scroll lock- number key , does not work. I've tried
>> other combinations...googled for the last hour to find a
>> solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company
>> on Tuesday, but I thought someone here may have a
>> suggestion (keep it clean lol). I'm running win xp pro on
>> both computers. All that happens after pressing the scroll
>> lock key twice are two beeps. Cheers,
>> Paul
>>

> Not crazy about the brand name of your KVM. Also, why did you
> buy a 4-port unit if you only have 2 machines? (I tend to be
> curious, sorry.)

The only one I could buy!

Toolman Tim

In news:44431239$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u,
Paul Burdett spewed forth:
> newsIs0g.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:44420e55$0$20113$(E-Mail Removed) u,
>> Paul Burdett spewed forth:
>>> Hi,
>>> I recently purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) 4 port AUTO KVM
>>> switch. I'm currently running 2 computers with a single
>>> mouse,keyboard and monitor. It works fine and I'm able to switch
>>> between computers by simply pressing the appropriate button on the
>>> front of the kvm box. (PC1 or PC2). However, the keyboard hot-key
>>> combination of scroll lock- scroll lock- number key , does not work.
>>> I've tried other combinations...googled for the last hour to find a
>>> solution, but have come up blank. I will call the company on
>>> Tuesday, but I thought someone here may have a suggestion (keep it
>>> clean lol). I'm running win xp pro on both computers. All that
>>> happens after pressing the scroll lock key twice are two beeps.
>>> Cheers, Paul

>> Mine switches into a 'scan mode' with scroll lock, scroll lock,
>> space. If that is followed by another space, if locks onto that PC.

> Hey..that works!! it's a different hotkey combination from the
> manual...but what the heck...it works..thanks!!
> Paul

You bet! They were probably all made by the same people anyway <g>

KVM switch query doS Computer Support 3 04-23-2005 05:56 PM
KVM extender and switch problem James Hanley Computer Information 2 12-16-2004 01:50 PM
need help with kvm switch yawnmoth Computer Information 2 09-25-2004 11:46 PM
KVM switch moses Computer Support 1 11-11-2003 10:33 AM
KVM switch vs TightVNC? john63401@yahoo.com MCSE 8 08-05-2003 11:17 PM

Advertisments