Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > selling laptops on ebay

Reply
Thread Tools

selling laptops on ebay

 
 
shaunweller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
ebay.But I wasnt selling one?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nancy13g@verizon.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006

shaunweller wrote:

> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?


Why don't you write to the eBay representative that you've been
corresponding with and ask him what he thinks?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:

> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?


It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you do
DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO NOT
fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take you
to.

 
Reply With Quote
 
nemesis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2006.04.15.12.50.53.571486@AardvarkBusine ssSolutions.com...
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:
>
> > I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
> > ebay.But I wasnt selling one?

>
> It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you do
> DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO NOT
> fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take you
> to.
>

I receive things like this regularly. They can be very plausible. It is
VERY IMPORTANT that you follow Aardvark's advice. All I would add is that
you read up the information on the eBay site home page on Spoofs. You can
also report spoofs to eBay. I always do.
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
shaunweller wrote:

> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?


I dunno, were you?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients

 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
Aardvark wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:
>
>> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
>> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?

>
> It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you do
> DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO NOT
> fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take you
> to.


Whoa. I just responded, too. THEN I recognized this as the guy who
started that long thread last week about the absolute authenticity of a
phishing scam email he received from eBay.

Kill files might be be in order, here.


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients

 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
nemesis wrote:

>
> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2006.04.15.12.50.53.571486@AardvarkBusine ssSolutions.com...
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:
>>
>> > I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
>> > ebay.But I wasnt selling one?

>>
>> It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you
>> do DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO
>> NOT fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take
>> you to.
>>

> I receive things like this regularly. They can be very plausible. It is
> VERY IMPORTANT that you follow Aardvark's advice. All I would add is
> that you read up the information on the eBay site home page on Spoofs.
> You can also report spoofs to eBay. I always do. John


Troll or terminally dumb (OP). See my reply to Aardvark, Nemesis.


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:45:06 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:
>>
>>> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
>>> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?

>>
>> It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you do
>> DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO NOT
>> fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take you
>> to.

>
> Whoa. I just responded, too. THEN I recognized this as the guy who
> started that long thread last week about the absolute authenticity of a
> phishing scam email he received from eBay.
>
> Kill files might be be in order, here.


Yes Tim. You're right there.

I realised who he was even before I put pen to paper (fingers to keys?)
but thought it would be good advice to anyone receiving one of these
emails. On balance I think I was probably right to reply. For the sake of
others, not the dingbat OP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:57:34 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:45:06 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Aardvark wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:47 +0100, shaunweller wrote:
>>>
>>>> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
>>>> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?
>>>
>>> It's some scammer on a phishing expedition. Ignore it and whatever you do
>>> DO NOT click on any links in the email and if you do, DEFINITELY DO NOT
>>> fill in your details in the form that that link will inevitably take you
>>> to.

>>
>> Whoa. I just responded, too. THEN I recognized this as the guy who
>> started that long thread last week about the absolute authenticity of a
>> phishing scam email he received from eBay.
>>
>> Kill files might be be in order, here.

>
> Yes Tim. You're right there.
>
> I realised who he was even before I put pen to paper (fingers to keys?)
> but thought it would be good advice to anyone receiving one of these
> emails. On balance I think I was probably right to reply. For the sake of
> others, not the dingbat OP.


Oops! Sorry Blinky. For some reason Toolman Tim got into my head


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ponder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2006
Hiya shaunweller.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I have just been contacted by someone trying to buy laptops from me on
> ebay.But I wasnt selling one?


Well just offer him the one you have in your attic. I'm sure you've told
him all about it because he's genuinely from ebay after all and we all know
nobody would want to take advantage of someone as net-savvy as you.

****ing troll, you were caught out last time. Now sit back in your chair
and we'll plug it in.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Ponder - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay Bigbazza Computer Support 0 10-16-2007 09:05 AM
ebay ebay ebay Bigbazza Computer Support 0 10-16-2007 09:04 AM
HP selling Linux-loaded laptops in Australia Au79 Computer Support 1 09-07-2007 11:31 AM
Toshiba is selling bad laptops Alejandro Penate-Diaz ASP .Net 1 03-22-2005 01:44 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM



Advertisments