Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MICROSOFT EXAMS

MICROSOFT EXAMS

Steve

I have noticed that there is a growing tendancy with
people taking MCP/MCSA/MCSE exams to study Cheat Sheets
and forget about learning the subject, armed with all the
answers they are going and sitting the exam and passing,
which is making a mockery of Microsoft's qualification
system.

Most potential employers haven't got a clue when hiring
these numpties, who give the rest of the IT community a
bad name when they screw up big time. It will only be a
matter of time before employers get wise and stop hiring
MCSE's.

Comeon Microsoft, I know you are only in the
certification game for the revenue it produces, but isn't
it about time you done something to make this worthless
paper qualification worth something?

If I wanted to I can log onto TestKing and download all
369 questions for about $69. Shouldn't you have better
security or something. A few years ago, people in India
were paying professional exam-takers to sit their exams
for them. Surely you should be suspicious of anyone
going into an exam and completing it in 10 minutes flat
with a near 100% score.

Call me old fashion, but I believe the only way to pass a
technical exam is to know your subject before hand, and
even if the pass mark is 540 and you get 541, it proves
it is your own work not remembered from a cheat sheet.

Regards

Steve

Rick

This subject comes up about every 30 days in this news group. The answer is
that a good IS department will only use the Certification as a starting
point in the hiring process. A thorough interview should always be given to
any potential candidate by company personnel who are knowledgeable in the
candidates area of expertise. I for one have been on many job interviews
where there is a test giving as part of the process. Much the same we are
looking to hire a couple of part time technicians from one of our local tech
schools. My current plan is to look at some of the A+ Network+ and Server+
material and create a test to judge their skills.

These same arguments were made about the NT4 certification yet people are
still hiring MCSE's. Just my two cents

Rick

Adam Brass

I agree. Assuming the company already has an IT department, it shouldn't be
too difficult to weed out the paper MCSEs from the real MCSEs. I laugh at
the people who have MCSE but cannot even create a user in active directory.

Kendal Emery

You can create users in Active Directory????

Sorr, sarcasm flows like honey today
Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"Adam Brass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I agree. Assuming the company already has an IT department, it shouldn't

be
> too difficult to weed out the paper MCSEs from the real MCSEs. I laugh at
> the people who have MCSE but cannot even create a user in active

directory.

Consultant

this is a new concept

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can create users in Active Directory????
>

> Sorr, sarcasm flows like honey today
> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me
> "Adam Brass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I agree. Assuming the company already has an IT department, it shouldn't

> be
> > too difficult to weed out the paper MCSEs from the real MCSEs. I laugh

at
> > the people who have MCSE but cannot even create a user in active

> directory.

Sir Kozz

news:09bc01c3892b$529a5170$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have noticed that there is a growing tendancy with
> people taking MCP/MCSA/MCSE exams to study Cheat Sheets
> and forget about learning the subject, armed with all the
> answers they are going and sitting the exam and passing,
> which is making a mockery of Microsoft's qualification
> system.

If ms cared than they would also have a pratical exam for every test.

> Most potential employers haven't got a clue when hiring
> these numpties, who give the rest of the IT community a
> bad name when they screw up big time. It will only be a
> matter of time before employers get wise and stop hiring
> MCSE's.

Sad but not entirley true, employers want the peice of paper so they can say
"all are techs are MCP's" ect.

> Comeon Microsoft, I know you are only in the
> certification game for the revenue it produces, but isn't
> it about time you done something to make this worthless
> paper qualification worth something?

Capitalism, baby!!

> If I wanted to I can log onto TestKing and download all
> 369 questions for about $69. Shouldn't you have better
> security or something. A few years ago, people in India
> were paying professional exam-takers to sit their exams
> for them. Surely you should be suspicious of anyone
> going into an exam and completing it in 10 minutes flat
> with a near 100% score.

Isn't there an old saying, cheaters never prosper?????

> Call me old fashion, but I believe the only way to pass a
> technical exam is to know your subject before hand, and
> even if the pass mark is 540 and you get 541, it proves
> it is your own work not remembered from a cheat sheet.

Old fashion????????? I've been a field engineer for 15+ years, and
ex-military, most technical exams are open book,(testing you on where to get
the correct answers) theory tests are always closed,(do you have a clue how
this works) Correct me if I'm wrong but most ms exams are mixed with both,
so there is no easy answer?????? Like I said earlier if they realy cared
they would give you a practical(you know how to work on the gear) just like
all the maintenaince schools I've been to.

BTW I'm not really disagring with you just giving you a different
perception.

Thanx Chris