Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > msconfig problem on normal startup.

msconfig problem on normal startup.

coolmale48@hotmail.com

Running WinME on Athlon 800. Something is corrupting normal startup in
msconfig. I get a pixilated 16 color background, and no cursor. I can
tab my way into msconfig and system restore to get everything back to
normal (32 bit color, 1024 x 768, etc.) but msconfig has reset itself
to selective startup. Display settings seem fine, but as soon as I
select normal startup and reboot, the problem is back. System is very
clean otherwise. I run virus, hijack, and adware checks regularly.
Corruption seems to be only in normal config startup, and may be the
result of my opening a floppy with a Win 95 boot disk I was making to
help a friend with a dead dinosaur of a computer. Any advice
appreciated.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:21:55 -0700, coolmale48 wrote:

> Running WinME on Athlon 800. Something is corrupting normal startup in
> msconfig. I get a pixilated 16 color background, and no cursor. I can
> tab my way into msconfig and system restore to get everything back to
> normal (32 bit color, 1024 x 768, etc.) but msconfig has reset itself
> to selective startup. Display settings seem fine, but as soon as I
> select normal startup and reboot, the problem is back. System is very
> clean otherwise. I run virus, hijack, and adware checks regularly.
> Corruption seems to be only in normal config startup, and may be the
> result of my opening a floppy with a Win 95 boot disk I was making to
> help a friend with a dead dinosaur of a computer. Any advice
> appreciated.

Problem is ME.

Ben Myers

Make sure the computer has a valid "c:\msdos.sys" file. Please note
that some applications place entries at the very end of the file. Also,
make sure there is no "c:\winboot.ini" file.

http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

Ben