Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > disconnect/reboot

disconnect/reboot

W.Henry

Hi ,
I just recently switched to DSL about 2 weeks ago from cable
internet(better price , almost as fast) .
The problem is after my machine sits overnight without using the internet or
anything else for that matter when I get up to use the net it's disconected
and I have to reboot in order to reconnect again. When I had cable this
never occured . Any possible clues as to why this is going on? My computer
is a pentium 333, windows xp pro ,500 megs of ram . I have the AVG free
antivirus and zone alarm firewall .Any other parameters you may need to know
just ask and I will supply if it will help in solving this problem .

Thanks in advance,
Will

Duane Arnold

"W.Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi ,
> I just recently switched to DSL about 2 weeks ago from cable
> internet(better price , almost as fast) .
> The problem is after my machine sits overnight without using the internet
> or
> anything else for that matter when I get up to use the net it's
> disconected
> and I have to reboot in order to reconnect again. When I had cable this
> never occured . Any possible clues as to why this is going on? My computer
> is a pentium 333, windows xp pro ,500 megs of ram . I have the AVG free
> antivirus and zone alarm firewall .Any other parameters you may need to
> know
> just ask and I will supply if it will help in solving this problem .

Most likely, ZA put itself into a lock out mode and will not let any
traffic to the machine I would venture to guess. I would suggest that you
disable ZA on the machine and enable XP's FW to see if that's the case that
ZA is blocking all traffic when the machine has gone into an idle state for
a long period of time, then figure out how to get ZA out of that lock out
state.

You can try IPconfig /release and IPconfilg /renew at the DOS Command
prompt, which will re-establish the TCP/IP connection of the machine to the
Internet without having to boot the machine.

If you're leaving the machine connected to the Internet over night with a
direct connection to the modem, then you might want to go behind the
protection of a router and let the router protect the machine, otherwise, if
you don't want to do that, then secure the O/S harden it to attack for a
machine that has a direct connection.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane

Chadwick Stone©

Duane Arnold [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
kE40g.3074$(E-Mail Removed)

> I would venture to guess [...]
> I would suggest that [...]
> then figure out how to get [...]
> You can try [...]
> If [...] then you might want to go [...]
> if [...]

Really helpful stuff Doo-wayne. If your stupidity gets any bigger then
it's mass will become critical, a singularity will occur, and you'll
implode your skull causing dangerous shrapnel to be propelled outward
omnidirectionally. For the safety of people who matter, please STFU and
go soak your head.

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

Diabolical K-Hen-Kicker

> Really helpful stuff Doo-wayne. If your stupidity gets any bigger then
> it's mass will become critical, a singularity will occur, and you'll
> implode your skull causing dangerous shrapnel to be propelled outward
> omnidirectionally. For the safety of people who matter, please STFU and
> go soak your head.

I don't see you coming up with anything Chicken-Lips.

old man

I dont have DSL, try, in the morning pulling the modem pwr connector, go put
the kettle on, then reconnect it.
If it then connects ok then possibly a problem with your provider / modem
Is it a usb modem?

"W.Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi ,
> I just recently switched to DSL about 2 weeks ago from cable
> internet(better price , almost as fast) .
> The problem is after my machine sits overnight without using the internet

or
> anything else for that matter when I get up to use the net it's

disconected
> and I have to reboot in order to reconnect again. When I had cable this
> never occured . Any possible clues as to why this is going on? My computer
> is a pentium 333, windows xp pro ,500 megs of ram . I have the AVG free
> antivirus and zone alarm firewall .Any other parameters you may need to

know
> just ask and I will supply if it will help in solving this problem .
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Will

W.Henry

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cv70g.31728$(E-Mail Removed)...
: I dont have DSL, try, in the morning pulling the modem pwr connector, go
put
: the kettle on, then reconnect it.

Haven't tried that yet .
I have tried rebooting the modem itself though . I think that is the same
thing as unplugging it .

: If it then connects ok then possibly a problem with your provider / modem
: Is it a usb modem?

Yes it is a USB modem .

I called Verizon tech people and they ran me through a bunch of things and
different perameters . They said they would call me yesterday and see if the
tweaks they suggested helped and I haven't heard from them yet ...Needless
to say they didn't work . Sooo I thought I'd see if you guys(or gals) might
have an answer .
It really sucks cuz after this damn thing sits for a couple of hours I have
to reboot just to get on the friggin' internet or check my email .</whining>
Anyways thanks again ,
Will

:
[...]
: >
: > Thanks in advance,
: > Will
: >
: >
:
:

old man

You should'nt have to reboot, just pull the modem pwr supply, leave for a
mo, then reconnect.
If your modem has a reboot btn/switch I dont believe this is quite the same
as pwring off / on
I have seen posts from people having problems with usb modems, whether its a
modem or usb prob I dont know, but it seems to be often reccommended that if
the modem has a Lan connection this should be used.

> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Cv70g.31728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : I dont have DSL, try, in the morning pulling the modem pwr connector, go
> put
> : the kettle on, then reconnect it.
>
> Haven't tried that yet .
> I have tried rebooting the modem itself though . I think that is the same
> thing as unplugging it .
>
> : If it then connects ok then possibly a problem with your provider /

modem
> : Is it a usb modem?
>
> Yes it is a USB modem .
>
> I called Verizon tech people and they ran me through a bunch of things and
> different perameters . They said they would call me yesterday and see if

the
> tweaks they suggested helped and I haven't heard from them yet ...Needless
> to say they didn't work . Sooo I thought I'd see if you guys(or gals)

might
> have an answer .
> It really sucks cuz after this damn thing sits for a couple of hours I

have
> to reboot just to get on the friggin' internet or check my email

..</whining>
> Anyways thanks again ,
> Will
>
> :
> : "W.Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:X2U%f.418$yQ.122@trnddc07...
> : > Hi ,
> : > I just recently switched to DSL about 2 weeks ago from cable
> : > internet(better price , almost as fast) .
> : > The problem is after my machine sits overnight without using the
> internet
> : or
> : > anything else for that matter when I get up to use the net it's
> : disconected
> : > and I have to reboot in order to reconnect again. When I had cable

this
> : > never occured . Any possible clues as to why this is going on? My
> computer
> : > is a pentium 333, windows xp pro ,500 megs of ram . I have the AVG

free
> : > antivirus and zone alarm firewall .Any other parameters you may need

> : know
> : > just ask and I will supply if it will help in solving this problem .
> : >
> : > Thanks in advance,
> : > Will
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

s1

Implosion is a process in which objects are destroyed by collapsing in on
themselves not outwards like ****wit Chadwick Stone said

"Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:1550g.127133$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Duane Arnold [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
> kE40g.3074$(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I would venture to guess [...]
>> I would suggest that [...]
>> then figure out how to get [...]
>> You can try [...]
>> If [...] then you might want to go [...]
>> if [...]

> Really helpful stuff Doo-wayne. If your stupidity gets any bigger then
> it's mass will become critical, a singularity will occur, and you'll
> implode your skull causing dangerous shrapnel to be propelled outward
> omnidirectionally. For the safety of people who matter, please STFU and
> go soak your head.
>
> --
>
> Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
> ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
> Usenet's most helpful netizen
> Hammer of Thor, March 2005

Diabolical K-Hen-Kicker

s1 wrote:
> Implosion is a process in which objects are destroyed by collapsing in on
> themselves not outwards like ****wit Chadwick Stone said

When did Chadlicking-the-Stone know thing?

Diabolical K-Hen-Kicker

Diabolical K-Hen-Kicker wrote:
> s1 wrote:
>
>> Implosion is a process in which objects are destroyed by collapsing in
>> on themselves not outwards like ****wit Chadwick Stone said
>>

> When did Chadlicking-the-Stone know thing?

<correction>

That's Chadlicking-the-Stone know anything?