Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleted Email problem

Deleted Email problem

Super Duper MMI

Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this happened
but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been deleted -
everything in every folder! I'm the only person who uses the PC so I dont
know where they have gone, and I def would not have deleted them or moved
them somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can retrieve these? I have
Norton AV, one button etc, so am scanning the C Drive to recover anything
remotely like an email with that prog, but it doesn't look hopeful. Is there
are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an earlier date bring
them back

Thanks for any help in advance

philo

Super Duper MMI wrote:
> Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this happened
> but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been deleted -
> everything in every folder! I'm the only person who uses the PC so I dont
> know where they have gone, and I def would not have deleted them or moved
> them somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can retrieve these? I have
> Norton AV, one button etc, so am scanning the C Drive to recover anything
> remotely like an email with that prog, but it doesn't look hopeful. Is there
> are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an earlier date bring
> them back
>
> Thanks for any help in advance

do a search for *.dbx

Mike Easter

Super Duper MMI wrote:
> Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this
> happened but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been
> deleted - everything in every folder!

More likely there is a corrupt .dbx file.
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone Messages in Inbox
or other mail folders disappear

.... or you have had 'interference' from McAfee's AV described on that
page above -- but I see Norton below.

That link above suggests a difference of appearance [Welcome to OE]
caused by the creation of a new Inbox when the old has become
corrupted -- ie . Inbox(1).dbx

> I'm the only person who uses
> the PC so I dont know where they have gone, and I def would not have
> deleted them or moved them somewhere else.

> Does anyone know how I can
> retrieve these?

Deleted files aren't actually deleted from the .dbx until the .dbx is
compacted, either manually or automatically.

--
Mike Easter

Super Duper MMI

Am trying to do this

1.On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.2.In the Select
an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or
Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.3.Click Import mail from an
OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then
click OK.4.Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder on your
desktop.5.Click OK, and then click Next.6.Click All folders, click Next, and
then click Finish.

but it wont let me whilst having Outlook Express opened?? Any other way does
anyone know. Thanks Mike btw

Dan Evans

"Super Duper MMI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MuM%f.44277$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this
> happened but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been
> deleted - everything in every folder! I'm the only person who uses the PC
> so I dont know where they have gone, and I def would not have deleted them
> or moved them somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can retrieve these? I
> have Norton AV, one button etc, so am scanning the C Drive to recover
> anything remotely like an email with that prog, but it doesn't look
> hopeful. Is there are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an
> earlier date bring them back
>
> Thanks for any help in advance

Close OE then reopen - more often than not the messages reappear.

Dan

Super Duper MMI

Have copied the back up folder to the desktop and it has imported a lot of
stuff, but not from my KEEPS folder which, of course has all the important
stuff in it

Mike Easter

Super Duper MMI wrote:
> Have copied the back up folder to the desktop and it has imported a
> lot of stuff, but not from my KEEPS folder which, of course has all
> the important stuff in it

You can 'attack' the keeps.dbx file in the original store folder with
tools like dbxtract http://www.oehelp.com/dbxtract/default.aspx
DBXtract extracts all mail and news messages from individual dbx files

or dbxpress http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx DBXpress is a
faster, more accurate, and more powerful version of DBXtract

--
Mike Easter

JANA

The inbox OE file may have been damaged, and a new one was created. An older
version of McAfee has been known to do this. An upgrade from McAfee will fix
this.

Are you aware that it is possible to backup your emails, by exporting them
to another folder, or media? You can then import them back at a later date,
if there was any losses to them.

Technically, it is recommended that you keep an image backup of your
complete system, so that you have a means of a full and quick recovery for
anything that is lost. The most cost effective way, is to have a second hard
drive, either internal or external for that purpose. There are some very
good imaging programs out there for this purpose.

--

JANA
_____