Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tracking Cookies

Tracking Cookies

WeeWilly

Is there some utility that I can use to prevent tracking cookies? I've got
Adaware and SW SnD on my laptop.. but I continue to get some of the same
cookies over and over. When running Adaware.. I put them in Quarantine..
but that doesn't help.. But I'm using the free version. Also, with SW SnD..
is there a function that will ask if you want to accept a cookie.? I've had
something turned on a long time ago on a different computerr that asked..
but, it was truely a pain in the butt as it was always asking.. I was
hoping there mmght be something out there that would keep "safe" or
acceptable cookies and delete others on exit or logout.

Thanks again for this newsgroup

--
Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

Chadwick Stone©

WeeWilly [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony

> Is there some utility that I can use to prevent tracking cookies?
> I've got Adaware and SW SnD on my laptop.. but I continue to get some
> of the same cookies over and over. When running Adaware.. I put them
> in Quarantine.. but that doesn't help.. But I'm using the free
> version. Also, with SW SnD.. is there a function that will ask if
> you want to accept a cookie.? I've had something turned on a long
> time ago on a different computerr that asked.. but, it was truely a
> pain in the butt as it was always asking.. I was hoping there mmght
> be something out there that would keep "safe" or acceptable cookies
> and delete others on exit or logout.
>
> Thanks again for this newsgroup

Spywareblaster

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

Mellowed

If using Internet Explorer, Go to TOOLS,
Click on Internet Options
Select PRIVACY tab
Go to ADVANCED
Check 'Override auto cookie handling'

Under 1st party cookie, Ck PROMPT
Under 3rd party cookie, Ck PROMPT

Ck ' Always allow session cookies' (just my preference)

Be sure to clean everything.
Also suggest that under TOOLS, GENERAL,
Under Temporary Internet Files, click on 'Delete Files', check 'Delete
Off Line Content' , Click on OK.

The above will give you some sort of control.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Thanks again for this newsgroup
:
: --
: Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
: Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips
:
:

Fuzzy Logic

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there some utility that I can use to prevent tracking cookies? I've
> got Adaware and SW SnD on my laptop.. but I continue to get some of the
> same cookies over and over. When running Adaware.. I put them in
> Quarantine.. but that doesn't help.. But I'm using the free version.
> Also, with SW SnD.. is there a function that will ask if you want to
> accept a cookie.? I've had something turned on a long time ago on a
> different computerr that asked.. but, it was truely a pain in the butt
> as it was always asking.. I was hoping there mmght be something out
> there that would keep "safe" or acceptable cookies and delete others on
> exit or logout.
>
> Thanks again for this newsgroup

This is what I do in IE:

Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced?

Select Override automatic cookie handling
Select Block First-party cookies
Select Block Third-party cookies
Select Always allow session cookies

click OK

This prevents all but session cookies (deleted when you exit IE). If there is a site that requires cookies you will
need to go to:

Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites and add it in

For example

microsoft.com and then click allow

That's it. Ad-aware never finds tracking cookies on my machine with these settings.

WeeWilly

Thanks all for the help.. I've given those settings and removed cookies and
temps.. we'll see if this helps.. I'm sure it will.