Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange Win2k boot failure - HDD or Power Supply or both?

Strange Win2k boot failure - HDD or Power Supply or both?

kaiaroo@gmail.com

I am running Win2k Pro with the most recent SP updates on a box with
the following specs:

Asus P4S533 645DX
P4 2.4 Ghz
768mb DDR 2700 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 128mb DDR
LeadTek WinFast TV card *
SB Audigy 2 Platinum (/w front panel board *)
NEC 3500A DVD-R
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
PCI Linksys 10/100 Lan Card *
8 gig IBM HDD - temp / "files to burn" drive
80 gig WD Caviar SE (7200, 8mb cache) - main (OS) HDD
ThermalTake PurePower HPC-420-102 DF Power Supply (ATX 12V 420w max.
load)

* Removed in an effort to reduce power load, but still same failure

The situation:
Woke up to the system powered down (I keep it running 24/7 except for @
one night a week)
On first boot after seeing the system down, I get a blue screen STOP:
0x0000007B - Inaccessible Boot Device right before the resolution
changes to the Login Screen. Since it was showing the HDD in the BIOS,
I figured part of the registry or some driver files were corrupted. I
checked all the connections; power and IDE cables... and cleaned out
some dust.
I had not installed any new hardware or installed any programs that
would mess with such things as far as I know... so, I switch over to
booting up with the NEC drive with the Win2k Pro CD (I also have a copy
of 2k Exec.) to get into the recovery console... but, i dont make it
that far.
The system just shuts off (power failure - like). I try a few more
times, but even the one time i do make it to the RC it shuts off before
i can try anything (besides i dont want to be doing a recovery while
having power issues). At this point im feeling pretty down and I start
researching more thoroughly on the laptop. I find plenty of info on
workarounds and fixes for people with the same blue screen, but none
that address power failure WHILE attempting to use the Recovery Console
to address the (somewhat common) 7B blue screen.

So at this point, I have removed all the items with an asterisk,
thinking that im just hitting a power failure consistently and that
possible thats what even got me to the 7B blue screen in the first
place from something power related (as opposed to the problem starting
with the HDD).

Can anyone help? I thought I knew my box like the back of my hand...
but, im stumped when it comes to the consistent power failure after
something like 2-3 min into the boot to disc recovery process.
Also, something I noticed while working on the box and researching at
the same time: when trying to boot normally, the computer will not stay
at the blue screen for more than about 4-5 min, before it does has the
exact same power failure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the
problem entirely.

- kaia

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]
> place from something power related (as opposed to the problem starting
> with the HDD).
>
> Can anyone help? I thought I knew my box like the back of my hand...
> but, im stumped when it comes to the consistent power failure after
> something like 2-3 min into the boot to disc recovery process.
> Also, something I noticed while working on the box and researching at
> the same time: when trying to boot normally, the computer will not stay
> at the blue screen for more than about 4-5 min, before it does has the
> exact same power failure.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
> hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
> replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
> problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the

kaia

The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing suggests
there is a heat related problem.

You don't mention the CPU and Power supply fans, have you checked they are
going.
Is the heat sink firmly pressed against the CPU?

If they don't appear to be the culprit it seems the sensible thing to do
would be to try another power supply.

Try disconnecting the hard drives, optical drives, floppy drive, all but one
stick of Ram etc and work your way back up till you find the culprit.

Best
Paul.

kaiaroo

>The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing suggests
there is a heat related problem.

Okay, thats a good start (the power/heat issues are something im not
really familiar with). What irks me is that it is so consistent. On
regular boot, it blue screens and then power fails at almost the exact
same time, each time i try. Same thing with going into the Win2k Setup,
it always just barely gets past a certain time.
On top of that, I removed a bunch of stuff mid-way through this... and
cleaned all the fans and removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink and
removed more dust than i had let collect in a PC in years (two moves
between apartments w/o cleaning inside). I then tried going to the R.C.
with like 4-5 parts removed (avoiding messing with any of the 4 drives
[2optical/2HDDs} on the IDE cables until i got some help so as not to
mess things up more in terms of what the system is expecting on
boot)... still, all those changes to things that would affect heat and
use power; and no change?

How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?

it is actually the most recent upgrade from around the same time as the
DVD-R, but it has gone for 5 months or so with the PSU and the new
drive working fine, then no hardware changes since...
Could something from an outside source (like a power spike or
something) just fry the power supply, yet still lead to this sort
situation (as opposed to just not powering on)?

Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... but, if
its the only way to figure it out the problem, ill have to give it a
go.

Thanks so much!

- kaia

Meat Plow

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:02:06 -0700, kaiaroo wrote:

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
> hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
> replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
> problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the
> problem entirely.

Swap the PSU for a known good one and see what happens.

PC

"kaiaroo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing
> >suggests

> there is a heat related problem.
>
> Okay, thats a good start (the power/heat issues are something im not
> really familiar with). What irks me is that it is so consistent. On
> regular boot, it blue screens and then power fails at almost the exact
> same time, each time i try. Same thing with going into the Win2k Setup,
> it always just barely gets past a certain time.
> On top of that, I removed a bunch of stuff mid-way through this... and
> cleaned all the fans and removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink and
> removed more dust than i had let collect in a PC in years (two moves
> between apartments w/o cleaning inside). I then tried going to the R.C.
> with like 4-5 parts removed (avoiding messing with any of the 4 drives
> [2optical/2HDDs} on the IDE cables until i got some help so as not to
> mess things up more in terms of what the system is expecting on
> boot)... still, all those changes to things that would affect heat and
> use power; and no change?
>
> How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?
>
> it is actually the most recent upgrade from around the same time as the
> DVD-R, but it has gone for 5 months or so with the PSU and the new
> drive working fine, then no hardware changes since...
> Could something from an outside source (like a power spike or
> something) just fry the power supply, yet still lead to this sort
> situation (as opposed to just not powering on)?
>
> Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... but, if
> its the only way to figure it out the problem, ill have to give it a
> go.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> - kaia

kaia

"How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?"
Quite easy, though less likely with a better known brand like the one you
have, and it would appear to have sufficient capacity to avoid overwork
failures.
The one's I've seen fall into two categories. <12 months old - (I've had
two) one just died, the other went marginal and acted like yours)
Then there's the >3/4 years old ones that suffer from noisey fans, bulging
capacitors, glue shorts and all the other miriad of electronic failures.

"Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... "
No disconnect all the drives, they are easy really, just pull the power and
data leads and leave them hang.
The PC will complain about no OS or boot disk but just leave it sit and see
if it crashes at the same time as before.
Better still at bootup go into your Bios screen and head for the section
that shows the CPU temperature and see if it heads up into the 50+ degrees
area.

Cheers
Paul.

kaiaroo

thank you paul, great advice.
i think thats what im going to try next

-kaia

kaiaroo

if i just had another PSU sitting around, i would try that.

unfortunately, when i bought this one, my old one was going on 2 years
and things were getting noisy. so that got tossed.
this PSU has been great up until now... :shrug:

- kaia