Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Priority Jumbles

Priority Jumbles

Eric Sosman

Lew wrote:
> [...]
> I was also challenging the description of "-ve" as a "std math abbr".

Well, perhaps I should have called it a "std engnr abbr."
Next week, we'll do "+ve."

For the record, my degree, too, was in Mathematics (although
no one would mistake me for a mathematician). It doesn't seem to
me that the perpetrators of "QED" and "lim inf" and "O(e^x)" have
much cause to disparage abbreviation.

--
Eric Sosman

Joshua Cranmer

Eric Sosman wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> [...]
>> I was also challenging the description of "-ve" as a "std math abbr".

> Well, perhaps I should have called it a "std engnr abbr."
> Next week, we'll do "+ve."
>
> For the record, my degree, too, was in Mathematics (although
> no one would mistake me for a mathematician). It doesn't seem to
> me that the perpetrators of "QED" and "lim inf" and "O(e^x)" have
> much cause to disparage abbreviation.

No, you should be talking to the perpetrators of OASIS, CPU, IDE, SCSI,
SATA, HDD, GNU, LISP, FORTRAN, Lambda (the letter, not the word), OTOH
SSCCE, regex, etc. (i.e., the CS dep'ts)

Lew

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> No, you should be talking to the perpetrators of ... Lambda (the letter, not the word) ...

Greece?

-- Lew

Joshua Cranmer

Lew wrote:
> Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>> No, you should be talking to the perpetrators of ... Lambda (the
>> letter, not the word) ...

> Greece?
>
> -- Lew

Lambda = null. Just ask my history teachers (I write history notes using
a combination of math, comp sci, and abbreviations up the wazoo.