Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Immediate Reformat

Immediate Reformat

McWideGlide

Hey Everyone,

I have a new Dell Laptop being shipped to me. From Past experience, new
computers come with a bunch of prepackaged trial software that I didnt ask
for, so I was thinking of reinstalling windows (media center edition) as
soon as I get it.

Think its a good idea? Any good walkthroughs taht you know of for this
online? Thanks, you guys are alwasy good at helping.

Jon

Toolman Tim

In news:LPD_f.2854$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
McWideGlide spewed forth:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a new Dell Laptop being shipped to me. From Past experience,
> new computers come with a bunch of prepackaged trial software that I
> didnt ask for, so I was thinking of reinstalling windows (media
> center edition) as soon as I get it.
>
> Think its a good idea? Any good walkthroughs taht you know of for
> this online? Thanks, you guys are alwasy good at helping.
>
> Jon

Unless you special ordered the setup discs, you're NOT gonna want to do
that. From what I've seen lately, Dell mostly ships their systems now with a
recovery partition, not discs. And if you "reinstall" from the recovery
partition, all that pre-installed stuff comes right back.

Better: go to Add/Remove programs and delete the stuff that way - like AOL,
etc.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

vbMark

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:LPD_f.2854$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a new Dell Laptop being shipped to me. From Past experience,
> new computers come with a bunch of prepackaged trial software that I
> didnt ask for, so I was thinking of reinstalling windows (media center
> edition) as soon as I get it.
>
> Think its a good idea? Any good walkthroughs taht you know of for
> this online? Thanks, you guys are alwasy good at helping.
>
> Jon

Yes, I'd do the same thing as long as you are not going to reinstall using
the CD that comes with the computer.

However, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (oh, yeah, this is the
internet)) I think Windows Media Center edition requires special hardware.
Anyone?

As far as a walkthrough, what are you not sure about doing? Installing a
Windows OS is pretty straight forward.
--
Have you washed your elbows at http://www.vbmark.com

Toolman Tim

In news:Xns97A1DDF09ECF9vbMark@199.45.49.11,
vbMark spewed forth:
> "McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:LPD_f.2854$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:
>
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>> I have a new Dell Laptop being shipped to me. From Past experience,
>> new computers come with a bunch of prepackaged trial software that I
>> didnt ask for, so I was thinking of reinstalling windows (media
>> center edition) as soon as I get it.
>>
>> Think its a good idea? Any good walkthroughs taht you know of for
>> this online? Thanks, you guys are alwasy good at helping.
>>
>> Jon

> Yes, I'd do the same thing as long as you are not going to reinstall
> using the CD that comes with the computer.
>
> However, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (oh, yeah, this
> is the internet)) I think Windows Media Center edition requires
> special hardware. Anyone?

I don't think any special hardware is "required". But the functions that the
software supports which require special hardware (TV Tuner, remote control,
etc.) obviously won't work.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

Peaches

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LPD_f.2854$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a new Dell Laptop being shipped to me. From Past experience, new
> computers come with a bunch of prepackaged trial software that I didnt ask
> for, so I was thinking of reinstalling windows (media center edition) as
> soon as I get it.
>
> Think its a good idea? Any good walkthroughs taht you know of for this
> online? Thanks, you guys are alwasy good at helping.
>
> Jon

MCE on a Laptop?
I haven't browsed Dell's site but are you sure?
It is easier to just try your laptop, with trial/shareware
If any you don't want, then do not subscribe at end of trial
and just remove via Add/remove etc.

What exactly do you mean by "reinstalling windows mce"?
Normally MCE is preinstalled and that was the only way of
getting it until very recently - Installing MCE is very tricky,
and I doubt a Laptop would meet spec requirements?
Or did you mean reinstall via the Dell supplied system reset
disk(s) or partition?

Plato

Dell is providing real XP cds these days for people who ask for them.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/