Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help please my computer has gone haywire.

help please my computer has gone haywire.

yadalda@gmail.com

ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
will not stop.
so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
soewhere and restart.
now it says:
Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy drive A media.
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
says

A:_

what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
the bios needing updating or is it something else.

SgtMinor

> ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
> just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
> i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
> and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
> it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
> will not stop.
> so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
> soewhere and restart.
> now it says:
> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
> BIOS ROM Checksum error
> Detecting Floppy drive A media.
> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>
> when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
> says
>
> A:_
>
> what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
> the bios needing updating or is it something else.

From the horse's mouth:

AwardBIOS Error Messages

http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+S...rror+Codes.htm

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
(E-Mail Removed) spewed forth:
> ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc
> worked just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
> i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
> and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
> it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
> will not stop.
> so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
> soewhere and restart.
> now it says:
> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
> BIOS ROM Checksum error
> Detecting Floppy drive A media.
> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>
> when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
> says
>
> A:_
>
> what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
> the bios needing updating or is it something else.

My first guess is that your system battery has probably lost it's charge. So
the settings in the BIOS are wrong. That's why it expected to find a floppy,
since it's a "default" setting in most BIOSs to have a floppy disc
installed. And it doesn't know what kind of hard drive you have.

So go into the BIOS setup (the screen should tell you how - press DEL, or
F2, or something like that when the memory test is running) and fix the
settings. If it works, you'll want to really look at that battery issue.

But that's just my first guess.

My second guess is that your keyboard has intermittent Shift keys. You
know - the keys that should be used to capitalize sentences? Those. They
seem to not work correctly.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
>just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
>i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
>and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
>it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
>will not stop.
>so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
>soewhere and restart.
>now it says:
>Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
>copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
>BIOS ROM Checksum error
>Detecting Floppy drive A media.
>INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>
>when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
>says
>
>A:_
>
>what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
>the bios needing updating or is it something else.

Start the computer and go into the BIOS setup.

Use the option to "automatically detect hard disk drives" and see if
it detects the hard drive. If not then the hard drive has possibly
died or become disconnected in some way. If it does detect the hard
drive then your computer should boot up okay when you save the changes
and exit the BIOS setup. However in this case it is probably the
CMOS batter that has died, causing it to fail to detect the hard
drive, and you therefore may need to replace that.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
> BIOS ROM Checksum error

Here's a very long article written in 2001 which contains this bios
screen

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright 1998, Award Software, Inc.
BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting floppy drive A media.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...os-update.html
AWARD FLASH BIOS Update Guide

If you search on 'Award Boot Block BIOS v1.0' you will find very many
articles describing what is going on with the bootblock trying to help
you solve the corrupt bios problem. Those articles describe recovery
strategies and tools with the possibility of recovering and the
possibility of not.

--
Mike Easter

yadalda@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
> just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
> i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
> and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
> it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
> will not stop.
> so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
> soewhere and restart.
> now it says:
> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
> BIOS ROM Checksum error
> Detecting Floppy drive A media.
> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>
> when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
> says
>
> A:_
>
> what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
> the bios needing updating or is it something else.

no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

Dan Evans

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
> looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

You have a blank hard drive, the A: prompt is because you have started with
a system floppy disk.

Make sure the hard drive is connected and has an OS installed.

Dan

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue.

They aren't talking about a laptop battery, they are talking about the
mobo CMOS battery which maintains settings and system clock-- but I
think your problem is different from a CMOS battery problem.

> what i am
> looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

Here's a pretty good one http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
Award 6.0 BootBlock BIOS Recovery for Abit Motherboards

Snippages from various parts of the page below....

<sNip>
The BootBlock is a portion of the BIOS which will sometimes boot when
the BIOS itself has been corrupted to enable you to boot to a floppy and
reflash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. -- In order to
attempt the reflash, prepare a DOS boot diskette with no CONFIG.SYS --
Create a single line AUTOEXEC.BAT -- Prior to flashing with your
recovery diskette, remove the power cord and open up your computer --
etc

Another nifty method to recover consists of placing AWDFLASH.EXE and the
currently installed BIOS .BIN file on a formatted diskette (no operating
system required). -- etc

If you cannot get the BootBlock to flash, your chip may be too corrupt
to recover using the above methods. Some options are: -- etc
</sNip>

--
Mike Easter

Alan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
>> just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
>> i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
>> and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
>> it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
>> will not stop.
>> so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
>> soewhere and restart.
>> now it says:
>> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
>> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
>> BIOS ROM Checksum error
>> Detecting Floppy drive A media.
>> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>>
>> when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
>> says
>>
>> A:_
>>
>> what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
>> the bios needing updating or is it something else.

> no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
> looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

All computers (even desktops) have whats called a BIOS battery - its
about the size of a quarter to store your computer settings when there
is no power. Why these are not rechargeable, I'll never know. The GOOD
news is that I've sen them in 'regular stores' versus the geek stores.

open up the computer and look for a round silver shiney "watch" battery
held on by a clip of sorts. Take it out, REMEMBERING WHICH SIDE WAS UP
Look at the number thats on the battery take it to a a place that
sells a variety of batteries (CVS, Brooks, Walgreens, etc...) and look
for that number. Note - you may see it in small print as in 123 -
replacing 456 and 789.

yadalda@gmail.com

thanks mike i think i will try the instructions on that page i hope it
works.
if not i'll let u know.