Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Global Catalog Placement?

Global Catalog Placement?

hAeW

I'm planning the AD across muliple locations and some of them are linked
together with WAN connection. So, are there any concerns if I make ll of the
DC also be a GC? Any advices or resources are very welcome.

Marlin Munrow

2 schools of thought

If all DCs hold a GCAT all is well (enterprise with WAN - expecially
where there are excahnge 2k servers at the end of WAN links)

or

Never put a GCAT on an Infrastructure master and put them on as few as
1 in the enterprise

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:28:32 +1000, "hAeW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm planning the AD across muliple locations and some of them are linked
>together with WAN connection. So, are there any concerns if I make ll of the
>DC also be a GC? Any advices or resources are very welcome.

Brian Warren \(Home\)

Personally speaking,

We have a DC at every site connected by WAN links to Head-office. These
remote DC's also contain GCAT.
And you should not put a GCAT on the Infrastructure Master.

Brian
MCP, MCSA, MCSE

"hAeW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uU%23zzT%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning the AD across muliple locations and some of them are linked
> together with WAN connection. So, are there any concerns if I make ll of

the
> DC also be a GC? Any advices or resources are very welcome.

hAeW

Sorry if it sound stupid but what is the Infrastructure Master?

"Brian Warren (Home)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Personally speaking,
>
> We have a DC at every site connected by WAN links to Head-office. These
> remote DC's also contain GCAT.
> And you should not put a GCAT on the Infrastructure Master.
>
> Brian
> MCP, MCSA, MCSE
>
> "hAeW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uU%23zzT%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm planning the AD across muliple locations and some of them are linked
> > together with WAN connection. So, are there any concerns if I make ll of

> the
> > DC also be a GC? Any advices or resources are very welcome.

Brian Warren \(Home\)

Hi

The Infrastructure Master is by default created on the first Domain
Controller in the domain.

I've snipped the paragraph below from the training books:

In the Active Directory service, the Infrastructure Master updates the
group-to-user references whenever the members of groups are renamed or
changed.

Global Catalog Servers Rome MCSE 6 10-24-2005 02:54 PM
electronic certifications catalog Chris Martin Microsoft Certification 2 05-14-2004 05:24 PM
Re: Global Catalog SRV Record is Missing ersin_yavuz MCSE 1 05-03-2004 08:33 AM

Advertisments