Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network issues

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless network issues

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TG9yaU0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
network)? I'm very new at this!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
the same as the wireless connection
Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
avoid confusion with the desktop screen.
"LoriM" wrote:

> I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
> my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
> desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
> speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
> internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
> Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
> devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
> wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
> network)? I'm very new at this!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TG9yaU0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
I do have My Network Places on my Vaio laptop where I can view the folders I
have shared on my laptop & the folders I have shared on my HP Pavilion. When
I connect with my wireless connection & select one of the shared folders from
my HP computer, I am denied access. Is this a simple fix? The links work
properly when I connect "wired".

Thanks for your thoughts on referring to "desktop". I understand where
confusion can take place ;~)

"Hugh" wrote:

> You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
> network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
> the same as the wireless connection
> Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
> avoid confusion with the desktop screen.
> "LoriM" wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
> > my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
> > desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
> > speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
> > internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
> > Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
> > devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
> > wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
> > network)? I'm very new at this!

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
The HP folders have to be designated as "shared". Right-click the appropriate
folder in Explorer, select "Sharing and Security", then designate the
appropriate level of sharing. Does the laptop show up in the router client's
table? If you have firewall, such as XP's firewall, you may neded to adjust
the settings.

"LoriM" wrote:

> I do have My Network Places on my Vaio laptop where I can view the folders I
> have shared on my laptop & the folders I have shared on my HP Pavilion. When
> I connect with my wireless connection & select one of the shared folders from
> my HP computer, I am denied access. Is this a simple fix? The links work
> properly when I connect "wired".
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on referring to "desktop". I understand where
> confusion can take place ;~)
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
> > network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
> > the same as the wireless connection
> > Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
> > avoid confusion with the desktop screen.
> > "LoriM" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
> > > my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
> > > desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
> > > speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
> > > internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
> > > Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
> > > devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
> > > wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
> > > network)? I'm very new at this!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Public Wireless Network together with Private Wireless Network PL Computer Security 1 11-15-2007 03:54 PM
Wireless Network Wizard and scripting updates to wireless network. Jordan Wireless Networking 1 11-03-2007 02:16 PM
Deleting a "Wireless network" created with the wireless network wi =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?= Wireless Networking 2 02-03-2006 11:18 AM
Wireless Bridge VS Wireless Access Point for DVR connection to wireless network Mark Wireless Networking 0 12-28-2005 09:21 PM
Wireless Network Help with a mixed wired and wireless network Rupert NZ Computing 1 05-09-2004 08:52 PM



Advertisments