Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop need to get connected

Laptop need to get connected

DannyD

My sister has a laptop given to her by the local Education authority to help
with her dyslexia, she wanted them to connect her to the Net so as my neice
can have the benefit of using that for her education, they have refused. How
would I find out if they have locked the laptop up so as she can't get
broadband herself and use that, she isn't afraid of paying she has told them
that but they won't do it.

Cheers

old man

I believe there has been a misinterpretation of what you want/your
requirements
It would be up to you to connect the Laptop, the Authority cannot do it for
you.
It is extremely unlikely that the system has been locked.

If the Laptop owners location already has an internet connection, then you
would use the Ethernet connector on the laptop to either share the internet
connection with another PC or via a router. Thereagain it maybe that the
Laptop has built in wireless connection.

We, perhaps, could be more specific if you let us know make/model of the
Laptop

"DannyD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister has a laptop given to her by the local Education authority to

help
> with her dyslexia, she wanted them to connect her to the Net so as my

neice
> can have the benefit of using that for her education, they have refused.

How
> would I find out if they have locked the laptop up so as she can't get
> broadband herself and use that, she isn't afraid of paying she has told

them
> that but they won't do it.
>
> Cheers

Whiskers

On 2006-04-05, DannyD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My sister has a laptop given to her by the local Education authority to help
> with her dyslexia, she wanted them to connect her to the Net so as my neice
> can have the benefit of using that for her education, they have refused. How
> would I find out if they have locked the laptop up so as she can't get
> broadband herself and use that, she isn't afraid of paying she has told them
> that but they won't do it.
>
> Cheers

Was the laptop given to her, or is it on loan? If it is programmed and/or
intended for a particular purpose, and belongs to the LEA, then it's up to
them what it can or cannot be used for - and they may well have very good
reasons for not wanting it connected to the internet.

If your niece's school requires her to have a computer and an internet
connection at home, then that is a separate matter.

There is of course no reason why your sister should not make her own
arrangements to get a computer and an internet connection of her own, just
as anyone else can. There are re-conditioned machines available if she
can't afford a brand new one.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Dan Evans

"DannyD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister has a laptop given to her by the local Education authority to
> help with her dyslexia, she wanted them to connect her to the Net so as my
> neice can have the benefit of using that for her education, they have
> refused.

Misuse of resources. The laptop was issued for one thing, you can't use it
for something (someone) else.

Dan