Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > bad sectors

bad sectors

elaich

My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is beginning
to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

beenthere

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
> beginning
> to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

Windows might not have repaired them.
It just marks them not to be used.
It`s the beginning of the end, when bad sectors start showing up.
Backup whatever you want to keep ! Or you`ll be crying that you`ve
lost all your stuff. Do It now.

old man

Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is

beginning
> to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

Plato

elaich wrote:

> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is beginning
> to go south,

Yes.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

elaich

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
win.ntli.net:

> Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
another drive, though.

My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but this
computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you supposed to
use it otherwise?

beenthere

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
> win.ntli.net:
>
>> Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

> Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
> trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
> another drive, though.
>
> My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but this
> computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you supposed
> use it otherwise?

Treat yourself to a floppy drive elaich.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
elaich spewed forth:
> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
> win.ntli.net:
>
>> Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web
>> site

> Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
> trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
> another drive, though.
>
> My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but
> this computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you
> supposed to use it otherwise?

Get their ISO version. Make a CD.

<http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/All%20Downloads&downloadID=113>

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
elaich spewed forth:
> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

Not necessarily. The drive may have had bad sectors from the day it was
made. But if they were in unused space, Windows may not have ever known
about them until now.

Granted, bad sectors on new hard drives aren't as common as they were a few
years ago, when many drives shipped with a few. I've ran drives for several
years after Windows marked a few sectors as bad, with no ill results.

Like has been suggested, backup the data, and run the HD's manufacturer's
utility to determine the status of the drive.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

I.F.

newskUYf.73$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> elaich spewed forth:
>> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
>> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
>> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

> Not necessarily. The drive may have had bad sectors from the day it was
> made. But if they were in unused space, Windows may not have ever known
> about them until now.
>
> Granted, bad sectors on new hard drives aren't as common as they were a
> few years ago, when many drives shipped with a few. I've ran drives for
> several years after Windows marked a few sectors as bad, with no ill
> results.
>
> Like has been suggested, backup the data, and run the HD's manufacturer's
> utility to determine the status of the drive.
>
> --
> My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
> God and I didn't.

Someone in the hard drive refurb' trade told me that all high density drives
have some bad sectors, the data area is so vast that its impossible to
manufacture with zero defects. He went on to explain that a new drive
appears to show zero defects because any defects present are mapped out
electronically, as I understood the explanation, the locations of any
defects found are stored in a EEPROM on the drives logic board and the drive
no longer uses these locations. Obviously the EEPROM has a size limit, and
when this limit is reached i.e. any new defects become apparent to the OS,
the drive should be considered due for replacement!

elaich

"beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:HCTYf.12401$NN4.8295@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

> Treat yourself to a floppy drive elaich.

There's not even a socket on the mobo for one. My only option would be USB.

bad sectors and new hardrive albert smith Computer Support 3 10-09-2004 03:21 AM
During boot up, the computer reports there may be bad sectors.... Happy@Camper.Com Computer Support 4 07-24-2004 11:15 PM
Bad Sectors Vic Computer Support 2 05-24-2004 11:15 PM
Bad sectors remain after frive copy vagabond Computer Support 2 09-13-2003 06:35 AM
Too many bad sectors Emrys Davies Computer Support 6 08-04-2003 06:50 PM

Advertisments