Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home network security? securing my shared drives

Reply
Thread Tools

Home network security? securing my shared drives

 
 
Paul.Watkins@msn.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
from the internet.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
> from the internet.


You put the machines behind a NAT router. It's as simple as that.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp

You secure the Share with using the Authenticated User Group on shares. If
XP Home, you can disable Simple File Sharing in Safe Mode so can get to the
Share Permissions Button, which are different permissions than folder
permissions using the Security Tab.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
you specify have permissions to connect to the others.

"Those are General First Rules."

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:44:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
>from the internet.


--
There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
--Edmund Burke
 
Reply With Quote
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
> from the internet.


Paul

The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
Internet.

Other than that there is a wide range of measures you could take.
Some measures may have little effect on their own, but in combination with
other measures your shared folders can be protected reasonably well.

A selection of possibilities are:

Passwords on shared folders.
Software and or Hardware Firewalls.
Install an Internet only machine.
Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.
Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)
Running a more secure Operating System.
Using restricted rights user accounts.
and so on.

Try Google for ideas eg
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=


Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
(most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
shares' is.

Best luck
Paul.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimchip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
On 2006-04-05, PC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
>> from the internet.

>
> Paul
>
> The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
> Internet.


Well, one could put a 'router' in front of the "machine with the shared
drives" and it it might end up that that "never connect the machine with the
shared drives to the Internet" might 'magically' turn into "the machine with
the shared drives is connected to The Internet", safely, I add.
[snip}
> A selection of possibilities are:
>
> Passwords on shared folders.


Gee, what's the point of 'sharing', then?

> Software and or Hardware Firewalls.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You answered your own question but didn't change your 'lead in'?

> Install an Internet only machine.


What is this?

> Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
> Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.


Give me a break...

> Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)


So that when you give bad advice you can try to 'move that way'?

> Running a more secure Operating System.


CHOKE! [coffee splash...using my shirt to finally find my screen, thank God
I missed my keyboard on that one (well, 'you know', "one screen, "SO MANY"
key pads...)

> Using restricted rights user accounts.
> and so on.


Also known as something like 'user accounts'

[snip blah blah blah]

> Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
> using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
> (most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
> shares' is.


What is *this* crap? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
"thank you all for reading this message.
I had 'fun' 'parsing 'it' "
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chadwick Stone©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
X-No-Archive: YES
(E-Mail Removed) [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
(E-Mail Removed)

> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
> from the internet.


Not sharing them.

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
Usenet's most helpful netizen
Hammer of Thor, March 2005


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
> from the internet.


Use a router.



--
http://www.bootdisk.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul.Watkins@msn.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:19:10 -0500, Mara
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
>you specify have permissions to connect to the others.
>
>"Those are General First Rules."
>
>On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:44:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
>>from the internet.



where would I set that? in the router's control panel? Would that
mean I put the IP addresses of my networked computers in a 'trusted'
list?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul.Watkins@msn.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:24:41 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
<chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>X-No-Archive: YES
>(E-Mail Removed) [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
>(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
>> from the internet.

>
>Not sharing them.



how should I copy files between computers?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chadwick Stone©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2006
X-No-Archive: YES
(E-Mail Removed) [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into testimony
(E-Mail Removed)

> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:24:41 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
> <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> X-No-Archive: YES
>> (E-Mail Removed) [(E-Mail Removed)] has entered into
>> testimony (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>>> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
>>> from the internet.

>>
>> Not sharing them.

>
>
> how should I copy files between computers?


SFTP. Google for OpenSSH.

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
Usenet's most helpful netizen
Hammer of Thor, March 2005


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives mel@no.spam.com Computer Support 2 09-21-2007 10:16 PM
Securing a home wireless network =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBNT00=?= Wireless Networking 8 01-08-2006 05:29 PM
Home network - mapped network drives (dis)appear Tiny Tim Computer Support 0 03-02-2005 10:41 AM
Enumerate all the drives including Mapped network drives on a serv =?Utf-8?B?UHJhZGVlcCBTdW5kYXJhbShNU0ZUKQ==?= ASP .Net 2 02-26-2005 03:13 PM
Securing ASP.NET in a shared environment Michael Johnson Sr. ASP .Net 0 02-17-2004 04:59 PM



Advertisments