Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT Network problem sort of

OT Network problem sort of

Waite, James

Dragon

Seems a bit of Name resolution issue. Try using host files on both PCs and
map them to the IPs on the crossover network.

"Waite, James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bla7cf$lpb$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...

James D. Murray

This sounds like PC2 is having a NetBIOS name resolution problem. Make sure
PC2 has NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.

Can PC2 access any other shares on any othe machines on your network using
Network Neightborhood? I had one W2K Pro machine that refused to work with
Network Neightborhood (i.e., NetBIOS names) untill I installed the NetBEUI
driver. After that it worked fine. None of the other W2K machines had
NetBEUI installed, and the problematic machine had all of the latest service
updates. I'm still scratching my head over it.

"Waite, James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bla7cf$lpb$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...

Waite, James

Yeah, that's the thing, I can access shares just fine. I can even see the
printer in Network Neighborhood. NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled was one of the
fist things I checked. I tried installing NetBEUI, but that didn't resolve
it. Using the IP address works, it's just annoying me that I cant figure it
out.

"James D. Murray" <james{at}idstouch{dot}com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This sounds like PC2 is having a NetBIOS name resolution problem. Make

sure
> PC2 has NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.
>
> Can PC2 access any other shares on any othe machines on your network using
> Network Neightborhood? I had one W2K Pro machine that refused to work with
> Network Neightborhood (i.e., NetBIOS names) untill I installed the NetBEUI
> driver. After that it worked fine. None of the other W2K machines had
> NetBEUI installed, and the problematic machine had all of the latest

service
> updates. I'm still scratching my head over it.
>

> "Waite, James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bla7cf$lpb$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> >
> > Any thoughts on this, not really a problem but sure is bugging me.
> >
> > Very simple network. 2 machines directly connected NIC to NIC with a
> > crossover cable.
> > Both machines are WIN 2000 Pro SP4 with
> > TCP/IP (NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled)
> > File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks
> > Client for Microsoft Networks
> >
> > 1 machine has a USB DSL Modem (PC1)
> > PC1 also as PPPoE protocol install to support the USB Modem (PPPoE is

only
> > bound the USB Modem)
> > PC1 has an Epson C60 Printer installed on LPT1
> > PC1 is sharing the Epson Printer as EPSON
> > PC1 has ICS enabled to share the broadband connection
> >
> > ICS works, no problems at all
> > PC2 obtains a address from ICS, no problem
> > PC2 is able to ping PC1 with both IP address and name
> > PC2 can reach share on PC1 with both IP address and name
> > PC2 CANNOT map to a shared printer on PC1 using computer name, but can

> using
> > IP address
> >
> > PC1 can see the printer in explorer, but if the printer is right clicked

> and
> > "connect to" is chosen the following error results: Could not connect

> > the printer. You either entered a printer name that was incorrect or the
> > specified printer is no longer connected to the server. Click help for

> more
> > information.
> >
> > The same error message in Add Printer Wizard, except that in the Printer
> > Information Box before clicking next to accept the printer selected

> Error:
> > The Printer name is invalid. (Printer name is "EPSON" best I can tell

no