Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to turn off external hard drive

How to turn off external hard drive

Adnan

Hello,

I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.

So what's the safe way to do it?

SgtMinor

Adnan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
> external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
> when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
> ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
> stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
> devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
>
> So what's the safe way to do it?

If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite
safe to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is
less and less important. At one time "surprise removals" could
cause problems but XP can now handle most instances:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...Prem-devs.mspx

Mara

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:42:22 -0500, Adnan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
>external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
>when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
>ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
>stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
>devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
>
>So what's the safe way to do it?

Are you sure it's the hard drive you're hearing, and not the fan in the
enclosure?

--
* ducky prepares to waid through the filesystems
<AB> ducky

Adnan

Mara wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:42:22 -0500, Adnan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
>>external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
>>when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
>>ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
>>stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
>>devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
>>
>>So what's the safe way to do it?

> Are you sure it's the hard drive you're hearing, and not the fan in the
> enclosure?

There's no fan inside.

Adnan

SgtMinor wrote:
> Adnan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
>> external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
>> when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
>> ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
>> stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
>> devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
>>
>> So what's the safe way to do it?

> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe to
> pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and less
> important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause problems but XP
> can now handle most instances:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...Prem-devs.mspx

I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching is
disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is whether
the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off while the drive
is still running (spinning)?

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Adnan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
>> external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
>> when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
>> ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
>> stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
>> devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
>>
>> So what's the safe way to do it?

> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite
> safe to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is
> less and less important. At one time "surprise removals" could
> cause problems but XP can now handle most instances:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...Prem-devs.mspx

This apparently assumes that write caching hasn't been enabled for the
device in question. I've enabled write caching for my USB external hard
drive and always hit the "Safely Remove Hardware" button and stop the
drive before shutting it down.

If the OP is concerned about safe removal, he should try to find out why
Windows thinks the drive is in use (it could be as simple as having it
selected in Explorer) and resolve that issue.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Bert Hyman

In newsnAXf.3754$(E-Mail Removed) Adnan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> my question is whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning
> it off while the drive is still running (spinning)?

There's no problem; that's the way it's normally done.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Toolman Tim

In newsnAXf.3754$(E-Mail Removed),
Adnan spewed forth:
> SgtMinor wrote:
>> Adnan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart
>>> Drive external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off
>>> switch) when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something
>>> before that? I ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem
>>> to find a way to stop it before turning it off. XP's remove
>>> hardware feature for USB devices doesn't work since it keeps
>>> telling me the device is in use. So what's the safe way to do it?

>> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
>> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
>> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
>> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...Prem-devs.mspx

> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does some
little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the power quits?
A drive is a drive - internal or external.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

clot

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In newsnAXf.3754$(E-Mail Removed),
> Adnan spewed forth:
>> SgtMinor wrote:

>>> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
>>> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
>>> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
>>> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...Prem-devs.mspx

>> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
>> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
>> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
>> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were either
elves or Lego men inside the box working for me.

Toolman Tim

In news:%PAXf.2255$(E-Mail Removed),
clot spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> In newsnAXf.3754$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Adnan spewed forth:

>>> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
>>> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
>>> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
>>> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

>> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
>> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
>> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

> Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were
> either elves or Lego men inside the box working for me.

Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think they were
much help ;o)