Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Install AD, DNS, DHCP on an isolated stand alone pc?

Install AD, DNS, DHCP on an isolated stand alone pc?

Javier GP

My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
fails.
Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?

=(

Tanks a lot!

Dave

I found I couldn't install AD on a stand alone. As soon as I had the pc
plugged into a hub with another machine it installed fine. If u have 2 pc's
you could connect them with a reverse lan lead so no need for a hub.

Dave

"Javier GP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:038201c3869f$371a0500$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
> 2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
> fails.
> Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?
>
> =(
>
> Tanks a lot!

billyw

just make a loopback connector..
fools the PC into thinking it is on a network

"Javier GP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:038201c3869f$371a0500$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
> 2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
> fails.
> Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?
>
> =(
>
> Tanks a lot!

Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

You cannot promote a machine to be a Domain Controller if you don't have a
network card installed.
Or if it's installed and not connected to anything then media sensing will
disable the network card.
Best method would be to intall the MS Loopback Adapter.
----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.

--------------------
From: "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Re: Install AD, DNS, DHCP on an isolated stand alone pc?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:05:15 +0100

I found I couldn't install AD on a stand alone. As soon as I had the pc
plugged into a hub with another machine it installed fine. If u have 2 pc's
you could connect them with a reverse lan lead so no need for a hub.

Dave

"Javier GP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:038201c3869f$371a0500$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
> 2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
> fails.
> Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?
>
> =(
>
> Tanks a lot!

Herb Martin

> My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
> 2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
> fails.
> Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?

For a new domain it is. You cannot "add a DC" to a Domain unless
another DC is accessible.

You need IP, and DNS but the DNS can run on that same machine
and in fact DCPromo will help you install it as part of the process if you
don't have one.

If you can install Win2000 server, you can do a DCPromo on that server
in any practical case you can find. (Even the disk space requirement is
easily bypassed -- I think it asks for 1 Gig but you only need about 70-80
Meg free.)

Oh, and the drive for SysVol MUST be NTFS but worst case you can
convert your current volume.

--
Herb Martin

Herb Martin

> I found I couldn't install AD on a stand alone. As soon as I had the pc
> plugged into a hub with another machine it installed fine. If u have 2

pc's
> you could connect them with a reverse lan lead so no need for a hub.

Good point -- the network must initialize and many NICs will not do so
with nothing plugged into them.

Note the requirement for "IP" -- IP must initialize. You can do this by
using a card that avoids "link detect", by plugging into a hub, or the
(always works) solution of manually adding the MSLoopback device.

MSLoopback is the only "NIC" listed under Microsoft as a vendor when
you do a MANUAL hardware install.

"Stand-alone" is fine; but IP (initialized) is required.

--
Herb Martin

Stand Alone Server 2003 =?Utf-8?B?cm9jazk4MTk=?= MCSE 1 11-12-2005 04:57 AM
stand alone executable using pp doesn't stand alone Plotinus Perl Misc 2 12-17-2004 01:09 AM
Suite or stand alone? Caploc Firefox 2 11-10-2004 09:48 PM
IAS fails with certs from Stand Alone CA Harrison Midkiff Wireless Networking 2 07-22-2004 09:45 PM
Main Advantages i get when i do a stand alone app in .Net rather than in VB. Punya Narra ASP .Net 5 02-17-2004 12:02 PM

Advertisments