Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2 hard drives dead in 24 hours

2 hard drives dead in 24 hours

mentalguy2004

My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed yesterday
and
although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working after
about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive (3
month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
(Norton) is up to date.

Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen to the
few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the thought
of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end of
the week.

old man

Both a deffective raid and psu can give rise to hd data problems, but would
not generally result in hd 'clicking', which usually means the hd has / is
failing.
You've tried the hd manu checking utilities?

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed

yesterday
> and
> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working

after
> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive

(3
> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
> (Norton) is up to date.
>
> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
> already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen to

the
> few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the

thought
> of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
> would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end of
> the week.

ts570d

First, I think I would unhook the second drive that is still working
until you check the voltage output of your power supply. Check the
leads for voltages and you should have +- 5 and +- 12 volts, give or
take. I would be most interested in the 12 volt end of the equation. 5
volts is running the computer ic's and the logic borads on the hard
drives. 12 volts is driving the drive motor and if the voltage is way
too high or low, that could be the source of the problem. If the
voltage is 11.5 to 12.5, then the problem is likely elsewhere.

You MIGHT just have some bad luck, but for grins, find a couple old,
really old and small drives with little value, hook them up, format and
let them run for awhile. Put an OS on one of them and let the computer
run from it for a couple of days. See what happens.

mentalguy2004 wrote:
> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed yesterday
> and
> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working after
> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive (3
> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
> (Norton) is up to date.
>
> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
> already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen to the
> few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the thought
> of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
> would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end of
> the week.

mentalguy2004

Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
motherboard "beep" but quieter.

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0DSWf.479$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Both a deffective raid and psu can give rise to hd data problems, but
> would
> not generally result in hd 'clicking', which usually means the hd has / is
> failing.
> You've tried the hd manu checking utilities?
>
> "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed

> yesterday
>> and
>> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working

> after
>> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
>> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive

> (3
>> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
>> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
>> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
>> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
>> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
>> (Norton) is up to date.
>>
>> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
>> already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen to

> the
>> few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the

> thought
>> of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
>> would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end
>> of
>> the week.

old man

If the drive is on a sata controler some utilities are unable to see the
drive.

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:slTWf.46499$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
> there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
> motherboard "beep" but quieter.
>

> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0DSWf.479$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Both a deffective raid and psu can give rise to hd data problems, but
> > would
> > not generally result in hd 'clicking', which usually means the hd has /

is
> > failing.
> > You've tried the hd manu checking utilities?
> >
> > "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed

> > yesterday
> >> and
> >> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working

> > after
> >> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised

by
> >> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard

drive
> > (3
> >> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
> >> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
> >> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
> >> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
> >> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
> >> (Norton) is up to date.
> >>
> >> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
> >> already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen

> > the
> >> few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the

> > thought
> >> of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
> >> would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end
> >> of
> >> the week.

mentalguy2004

I have a new (boxed) PC upstairs, I'll have to set it up and try to sort
something out.. I was just wondering if I would knacker the new one by
trying the "broken" hard drives in it. I am ever so slightly annoyed at
losing over 4gb of stuff... and please don't mention "backing up" I am NOT
in the mood LOL

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zETWf.14135$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the drive is on a sata controler some utilities are unable to see the
> drive.
>
> "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:slTWf.46499$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
>> there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
>> motherboard "beep" but quieter.
>>

>> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:0DSWf.479$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Both a deffective raid and psu can give rise to hd data problems, but
>> > would
>> > not generally result in hd 'clicking', which usually means the hd has /

> is
>> > failing.
>> > You've tried the hd manu checking utilities?
>> >
>> > "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > yesterday
>> > after

> by

> drive
>> > (3

>> > the
>> > thought

jeff@msn.com

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:01:45 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a new (boxed) PC upstairs, I'll have to set it up and try to sort
>something out.. I was just wondering if I would knacker the new one by
>trying the "broken" hard drives in it. I am ever so slightly annoyed at
>losing over 4gb of stuff... and please don't mention "backing up" I am NOT
>in the mood LOL
>

>"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:zETWf.14135$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If the drive is on a sata controler some utilities are unable to see the
>> drive.
>>
>> "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:slTWf.46499$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
>>> there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
>>> motherboard "beep" but quieter.
>>>

>>> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:0DSWf.479$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> is

>> by

>> drive

don't forget about the freezer trick for clicking drives.

put your hard drive in a ziplock bag, put that in another ziplock bag.
put in the freezer for about 5-8 minutes. Plug the drive up and get
your data off, this is only a temporary fix, but good enough to get
data off a clicking drive.

seriously....

Dan Evans

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed
> yesterday and
> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working
> after
> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive
> (3
> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
> (Norton) is up to date.
>
> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here?

I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.

Dan

old man

would'nt dream of it

> losing over 4gb of stuff... and please don't mention "backing up" I am

NOT
> in the mood LOL

jeff@msn.com

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:07:00 +0200, "Dan Evans"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:AsSWf.23033$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed
>> yesterday and
>> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working
>> after
>> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
>> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive
>> (3
>> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
>> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
>> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
>> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
>> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
>> (Norton) is up to date.
>>
>> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here?

>I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.
>
>Dan

>-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

buy a power supply tester for $10 at your local computer shop (not a
chain store)