Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD drive problem

DVD drive problem

KillrbyteTRIMBRAKES@sohcahtoa.net

I got a new DVD-RW drive in January from NewEgg, a LiteOn DVDRW
SHW-160P6S, and ever since I got it, I've had this one problem with it
in that some DVDs it fails to read. I stick the disc in, and the light
on the drive just stays on constantly, and any program that tries to
read the disc (ie, WMP or Windows Explorer) freezes up until I eject
the disc.

Most DVDs work just fine, and the drive burns discs just fine as well,
but I get these random discs that just refuse to work in the drive.
Even brand new just-out-of-the-case DVDs sometimes don't work. Ejecting
and reinsterting the disc doesn't work.

When I put these discs into a DVD player or into another computer, they
work just fine. I even had a friend use KProbe on his computer to scan
the disc to check its readability, and it the results look great, but
my computer still refuses to read the disc.

Any ideas? This drive doesn't have its own drivers, it just uses the
Windows default drivers. I've updated to the latest firmware, but that
didn't make any difference. I've also tried a lens cleaning disc, but
to no avail.

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I got a new DVD-RW drive in January from NewEgg, a LiteOn DVDRW
> SHW-160P6S, and ever since I got it, I've had this one problem with it
> in that some DVDs it fails to read. I stick the disc in, and the light
> on the drive just stays on constantly, and any program that tries to
> read the disc (ie, WMP or Windows Explorer) freezes up until I eject
> the disc.
>
> Most DVDs work just fine, and the drive burns discs just fine as well,
> but I get these random discs that just refuse to work in the drive.
> Even brand new just-out-of-the-case DVDs sometimes don't work. Ejecting
> and reinsterting the disc doesn't work.
>
> When I put these discs into a DVD player or into another computer, they
> work just fine. I even had a friend use KProbe on his computer to scan
> the disc to check its readability, and it the results look great, but
> my computer still refuses to read the disc.
>
> Any ideas? This drive doesn't have its own drivers, it just uses the
> Windows default drivers. I've updated to the latest firmware, but that
> didn't make any difference. I've also tried a lens cleaning disc, but
> to no avail.

It 'sounds' like a marginal drive, however may I suggest you check the power
supply voltages before condemning the drive out of hand.
Alternatively mount the drive in another machine and see if it will read the
DVD's there that it won't in your machine.

Cheers
Paul.