Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > i386 folder delete it?

i386 folder delete it?

Billh

I have some Dell computers at work that I want to image and get the
image under 4 gigs as my imagecast program does not play well with over
4 gig files.

Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386

Second fact if you install XP SP2 in the Windows folder there is a
service pack folder called i386 of about the same size.

Third fact if you format the hard drive and using the windows install cd
from Dell no I386 fold is created on the c drive.

Question can I delete the i386 folder in the c drive safely?

These computers are in a lab and hardware is not added to them often if
at all. And if hardware is added it is done by me and I have the xp cd
any ways.

JANA

If you want to make a lot of problems in your system, go and delete it. I
think you should go back for some retraining!

--

JANA
_____

"Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44286f50$0$17610$(E-Mail Removed) m...
I have some Dell computers at work that I want to image and get the
image under 4 gigs as my imagecast program does not play well with over
4 gig files.

Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386

Second fact if you install XP SP2 in the Windows folder there is a
service pack folder called i386 of about the same size.

Third fact if you format the hard drive and using the windows install cd
from Dell no I386 fold is created on the c drive.

Question can I delete the i386 folder in the c drive safely?

These computers are in a lab and hardware is not added to them often if
at all. And if hardware is added it is done by me and I have the xp cd
any ways.

VICIBICI

there are many ways of getting image under 4 gb. but deleting the i386 is
not included in that. before creating image reduce the image size by getting
rid of unnecessary programs, turn of system restore, disk clean up, defrag.
Standard desktop SOEs do not exceed 4gb most of the time.
You can use imaging program like Norton Ghost .

Sam Duru www.teknohelp.com.au Mobile: 0412724307
"Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44286f50$0$17610$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I have some Dell computers at work that I want to image and get the image
>under 4 gigs as my imagecast program does not play well with over 4 gig
>files.
>
> Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386
>
> Second fact if you install XP SP2 in the Windows folder there is a service
> pack folder called i386 of about the same size.
>
> Third fact if you format the hard drive and using the windows install cd
> from Dell no I386 fold is created on the c drive.
>
> Question can I delete the i386 folder in the c drive safely?
>
> These computers are in a lab and hardware is not added to them often if at
> all. And if hardware is added it is done by me and I have the xp cd any
> ways.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:25:36 -0500, "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want to make a lot of problems in your system, go and delete it. I
>think you should go back for some retraining!

I think YOU should go back for some 'retraining' and let the people
who know what they're talking about give the answers.

Yes, i386 can be deleted.

Billh

VICIBICI wrote:
> there are many ways of getting image under 4 gb. but deleting the i386 is
> not included in that. before creating image reduce the image size by getting
> rid of unnecessary programs, turn of system restore, disk clean up, defrag.
> Standard desktop SOEs do not exceed 4gb most of the time.
> You can use imaging program like Norton Ghost .
>
> Sam Duru www.teknohelp.com.au Mobile: 0412724307
> "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44286f50$0$17610$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> I have some Dell computers at work that I want to image and get the image
>> under 4 gigs as my imagecast program does not play well with over 4 gig
>> files.
>>
>> Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386
>>
>> Second fact if you install XP SP2 in the Windows folder there is a service
>> pack folder called i386 of about the same size.
>>
>> Third fact if you format the hard drive and using the windows install cd
>> from Dell no I386 fold is created on the c drive.
>>
>> Question can I delete the i386 folder in the c drive safely?
>>
>> These computers are in a lab and hardware is not added to them often if at
>> all. And if hardware is added it is done by me and I have the xp cd any
>> ways.

These labs have lots of programs on them thus the reason they can go
over 4 gigs. I do clear system restore and even boot up with Bart PE
and delete the pagefile and all profiles before I do the image. I was
able to get it down to 3.99! But I know if I add even more I item I
will be over.

Ghost is a good idea but I am stuck with Image cast.

rancid de

"Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44286f50$0$17610$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I have some Dell computers at work that I want to image and get the image
>under 4 gigs as my imagecast program does not play well with over 4 gig
>files.
>
> Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386
>
> Second fact if you install XP SP2 in the Windows folder there is a service
> pack folder called i386 of about the same size.
>
> Third fact if you format the hard drive and using the windows install cd
> from Dell no I386 fold is created on the c drive.
>
> Question can I delete the i386 folder in the c drive safely?
>
> These computers are in a lab and hardware is not added to them often if at
> all. And if hardware is added it is done by me and I have the xp cd any
> ways.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I386

Billh

JANA wrote:
> If you want to make a lot of problems in your system, go and delete it. I
> think you should go back for some retraining!

I am self taught by reading books websites and newsgroups and just doing
it. So in a way I am getting retrained by reading your post. As no one
can know everything this is why I asked the question.

So what problems will I have. As I said if I use an oem build it has it
but if I format and do a clean install it is not there so what defect is
in my clean install?

Plato

Billh wrote:

> Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386

Good design.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Billh

If it is good design then when you do a clean install of Windows why did
Microsoft not put the folder there.

Plato wrote:
> Billh wrote:
>> Fact in the c drive there is a folder called i386

> Good design.

Evan Platt

<(E-Mail Removed)>...