Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to remove icons from system tray??

How to remove icons from system tray??

Collector

I know this is an easy task. How can I get
rid of certain icons and prevent them from
re-appearing at my next boot??

Thanks in advance

Toolman Tim

In news:sJGVf.18161$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net,
Collector spewed forth:
> I know this is an easy task. How can I get
> rid of certain icons and prevent them from
> re-appearing at my next boot??
>
> Thanks in advance

Get specific. Which one(s)?

Some will allow you to turn them off, some won't. First, try a click or
right-click on them and see if they have "Disable Icon" or "Disable
quickstart" or something similar in the menu. Otherwise you may need to open
the specific application which placed the icon in the system tray and see if
there is a disable option there.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Collector wrote:
> I know this is an easy task. How can I get
> rid of certain icons and prevent them from
> re-appearing at my next boot??
>
> Thanks in advance

Well, you can use Start > Run > msconfig and disable things in the
Startup tab from there. There'll be people who squawk uncontrollably
about this is just a test method and not a solution, but you be the
judge. If you disable things there and they stay disabled to your
satisfaction, get on with your daily life. If you disable them there and
they come back, uninstall them or open the program and find out how to
keep them out of automatic startup.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:54:48 +0000, Collector wrote:

> I know this is an easy task. How can I get
> rid of certain icons and prevent them from
> re-appearing at my next boot??
>
> Thanks in advance

Stop the processes that put them there. Some you can right click and
choose disable. Experiment a little.

Jim Byrd

Hi Collector - There are several approaches you can use to make controlling
the Startup process easier. In addition to using msconfig:

Go here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup
Control Panel applet. Recommended. A somewhat more difficult to use but
more extensive program to do the same thing is StartupList from here:
http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...autoruns.shtml. This one
shows many additional useful/critical Registry entries. Recommended.

Changes made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are
usually a matter of just re-enabling the particular program.

Another program of this type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll
have to get it here: http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe,
as the pcforest site is, sadly, no longer in business.

Another such free program that I can highly recommend is StartupRun, here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html, particularly if you suspect malware
problems - it has a lot of useful info including file creation dates.

And finally, StartupCop, here is excellent and allows you to set up multiple
"startup profiles": http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip.

If you have problems with suspected hijackers, you can look up and
investigate suspect programs in your StartUp lists here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm (Recommended)
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend using
both msconfig and one of the others; each has some advantages. For example,
the XP msconfig also gives you some visibility/control over services, while
Mike's applet offers much better startup control.

Be very careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless
you're comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry
before making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong.
Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.he...runt/erunt.txt, and for some
useful information about this subject. The following tutorials are useful:

Installing & Using ERUNT
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
Q179365 here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q179365 which will
tell you the order in which things get loaded.

Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
issues are:

How to Delay Loading of Specific Services

HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q115/4/86.asp

One last thing - if you want to use msconfig in order to help deal with
"malware" issues, be aware that you can use it to do a "Clean Boot" from
which to better run anti-spyware cleanup tools or to avoid possible
interference with installs by programs such as Norton/Symantec's stuff:

#########IMPORTANT#########
Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
or a "Clean Boot" when possible. Reboot and test if the malware is fixed
after using each tool.

HOW TO Enable Hidden Files

Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2...nfig_setup.exe ):

1. StartRun enter msconfig.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
(enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
after cleaning your machine.

4. Click OK and then reboot.

For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95

Perhaps this will help.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here: