Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External HD vs Tape Backup

External HD vs Tape Backup

Collins

I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external hard
drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech insist on me
buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape drive will cost
$1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for under $200. Is the
tape drive actually more reliable and faster than a separate hard drive?
Which type of backup do you use?

Mara

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...24/ai_n6145651

--
"You can't rush the kind of cool *we* are."
--Erekos, Evil Abuse Minion #5

The Old Sourdough

Collins <leethjATadelphiaDOTnet> wrote:

> I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external hard
> drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech insist on me
> buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape drive will cost
> $1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for under $200. Is the
> tape drive actually more reliable and faster than a separate hard drive?
> Which type of backup do you use?

Well, IMHO, it's time to get rid of that computer tech.
Personally, I back up my data on CD-R or DVD-R.
--
The Old Sourdough
In the future, everyone will speak one language, but no one will speak it

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ,
Collins spewed forth:
> I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external
> hard drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech
> insist on me buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape
> drive will cost $1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for
> under $200. Is the tape drive actually more reliable and faster than
> a separate hard drive? Which type of backup do you use?

Our company uses tape. Why? Rotation schedule and archives. When you fill up
the hard drive, do you intend to toss it on a shelf and buy a new drive? I
have 7 years of archives on tape. I can have any file reloaded in minutes. I
have a rotation schedule that keeps a permanent copy of all month-end and
year-end business. To keep that information archived on hard drives would
have cost thousands instead of hundreds of dollars. Tape is cheap. $15 gives
me 80Gb of data in storage.

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Mara wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:58:17 -0500, Collins <leethjATadelphiaDOTnet> wrote:
>

>>I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external hard
>>drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech insist on me
>>buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape drive will cost
>>$1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for under $200. Is the
>>tape drive actually more reliable and faster than a separate hard drive?
>>Which type of backup do you use?

> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...24/ai_n6145651

Good article, but the prices are outdated. Instead of $1,500 for a TB of
hard drive, it's now a third of that.

Mara

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:29:54 -0500, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:58:17 -0500, Collins <leethjATadelphiaDOTnet> wrote:
>>

>>>I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external hard
>>>drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech insist on me
>>>buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape drive will cost
>>>$1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for under $200. Is the
>>>tape drive actually more reliable and faster than a separate hard drive?
>>>Which type of backup do you use?

>> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...24/ai_n6145651

>Good article, but the prices are outdated. Instead of $1,500 for a TB of
>hard drive, it's now a third of that.

I know. I mainly posted it so the OP could read about the differences. Lots of
prices have come down - the first Linksys 4-port I bought was $70. They're less
than $50 now. Just bought a decent 52x32x52 cd burner for a client for a
whopping $25.99. (It's OEM though.)

What I *wish* would get cheaper is PC100/133 SDRAM. I have a use for that. I
don't see it happening, though.

--

Mara wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:29:54 -0500, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Good article, but the prices are outdated. Instead of $1,500 for a TB of
>>hard drive, it's now a third of that.

> I know. I mainly posted it so the OP could read about the differences. Lots of
> prices have come down - the first Linksys 4-port I bought was $70. They're less
> than $50 now. Just bought a decent 52x32x52 cd burner for a client for a
> whopping $25.99. (It's OEM though.)
>
> What I *wish* would get cheaper is PC100/133 SDRAM. I have a use for that. I
> don't see it happening, though.

Yep, PC100/133 is likely to only go up as it's becoming a thing of the
past, but many machines being retired still will have them for
salvaging. But even new, it's still not all that expensive. How much do
you need?

GHalleck

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news(E-Mail Removed) ,
> Collins spewed forth:
>
>>I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external
>>hard drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech
>>insist on me buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape
>>drive will cost $1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for
>>under $200. Is the tape drive actually more reliable and faster than
>>a separate hard drive? Which type of backup do you use?

> Our company uses tape. Why? Rotation schedule and archives. When you fill up
> the hard drive, do you intend to toss it on a shelf and buy a new drive? I
> have 7 years of archives on tape. I can have any file reloaded in minutes. I
> have a rotation schedule that keeps a permanent copy of all month-end and
> year-end business. To keep that information archived on hard drives would
> have cost thousands instead of hundreds of dollars. Tape is cheap. $15 gives
> me 80Gb of data in storage.

Checked the magnetic coercivity lately of some of the older
archived tapes. For them, it might be time to transfer them
to newer and/or different media, like DVD+R.

Dan Evans

"Collins" <leethjATadelphiaDOTnet> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I would have thought that backing up the hard drive to an external hard
>drive would be the best way to go. However my computer tech insist on me
>buying a tape drive from him to back up to. The tape drive will cost
>$1080, but I can buy a Maxtor external drive for under $200. Is the tape
>drive actually more reliable and faster than a separate hard drive? Which
>type of backup do you use?

When a tape is full, another 200gig of space is 26 euros, and there are 10
tapes in use. Daily incremental backups, plus 2 weekly complete backups, one
for storage off site and one on site. Weekly backup sets are 3 tapes in
rotation.

So, 10x26euros is 260 euros, plus the drive (HP LTO Ultrium) 1240 euros,
1500 in total for 4 terrabytes of storage.

Add to that, failed media cost 26 euros to replace per 200gig (or 37 for
400gig if you choose the larger capacity), plus tape doesn't break if you
drop it and takes up less space than a packet of fags to store.

CD/DVD as a backup option isn't really viable in a medium/large business
environment unless you want someone sat changing discs all day.

Dan

jameswalton