Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > After tera...what's next??...

After tera...what's next??...

Jimchip

On 2006-03-26, Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>
> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...499008,00.html
"Kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, and all that

Also see Kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi, pebi, and all that, which are relatively new
prefixes designed to express power-of-two multiples.

Kilo, mega, giga, tera, and peta are among the list of prefixes that are used to
denote the quantity of something, such as, in computing and telecommunications,
a byte or a bit. Sometimes called prefix multipliers, these prefixes are also
used in electronics and physics. Each multiplier consists of a one-letter
abbreviation and the prefix that it stands for.

In communications, electronics, and physics, multipliers are defined in powers
of 10 from 10-24 to 1024, proceeding in increments of three orders of magnitude
(103 or 1,000). In IT and data storage, multipliers are defined in powers of 2
from 210 to 280, proceeding in increments of ten orders of magnitude (210 or
1,024). These multipliers are denoted in the following table" ...

note that the above doesn't have exponentials written correctly, although the
url reference does look and show things correctly.

> maybe back to the abacus...

There's nothing 'wrong' with nor 'too old' with the abacus that would suggest
your 'back to the abacus' statement has any validity in the context of the rest
of your message.

--
Is this where I give some sort of 'V' sign and say 'cool'?

Collector

I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...

But that will eventually wain...what's next??
Verabytes??...zerabytes??...

maybe back to the abacus...

peace

SgtMinor

Collector wrote:
> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>
> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...
>
> maybe back to the abacus...
>
> peace

People for the Ethical treatment of...

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...499008,00.html

Mitch

In article <mwlVf.10192$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>
> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...
>
> maybe back to the abacus...

Abacus?
Are you suggesting there is a reason we won't need increasing amounts
of storage?

Or are you suggesting that using a lot of storage is bringing us closer
to a time when we give up technology entirely?
What the basis for such an extreme implication?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Collector wrote:
> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>
> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...
>
> maybe back to the abacus...
>
> peace

You forgot Xena, don't forget Xena.

Atlas Shrugged

"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-03-26, Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>>
>> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
>> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...

> http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...499008,00.html
> "Kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, and all that
>
> Also see Kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi, pebi, and all that, which are relatively
> new
> prefixes designed to express power-of-two multiples.

What about the Kiwi, Qupi (aka, Cupie), and Gigli?

> Kilo, mega, giga, tera, and peta are among the list of prefixes that are
> used to
> denote the quantity of something, such as, in computing and
> telecommunications,
> a byte or a bit. Sometimes called prefix multipliers, these prefixes are
> also
> used in electronics and physics. Each multiplier consists of a one-letter
> abbreviation and the prefix that it stands for.
>
> In communications, electronics, and physics, multipliers are defined in
> powers
> of 10 from 10-24 to 1024, proceeding in increments of three orders of
> magnitude
> (103 or 1,000). In IT and data storage, multipliers are defined in powers
> of 2
> from 210 to 280, proceeding in increments of ten orders of magnitude (210
> or
> 1,024). These multipliers are denoted in the following table" ...
>
> note that the above doesn't have exponentials written correctly, although
> the
> url reference does look and show things correctly.
>
>> maybe back to the abacus...

> There's nothing 'wrong' with nor 'too old' with the abacus that would
> suggest
> your 'back to the abacus' statement has any validity in the context of the
> rest
> of your message.
>
>> peace

> --
> Is this where I give some sort of 'V' sign and say 'cool'?

Scraggy

Collector wrote:
> I have seen Dell advert a PC with terabytes...cool...
>
> But that will eventually wain...what's next??
> Verabytes??...zerabytes??...
>
> maybe back to the abacus...
>
> peace

Blinkybytes