Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > When connecting with DLink router, IE won't open some sites

When connecting with DLink router, IE won't open some sites

EyalS

Hi,

I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a network
for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At first glance,
all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open some sites
(microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google, and so on),
while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I thought the
problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.

I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it to
the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
thinking this has something to do with the router.

Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
pro SP1 and home SP2.

I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
not similar enough...

Any ideas?

Duane Arnold

"EyalS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a network
> for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At first glance,
> all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open some sites
> (microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google, and so on),
> while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I thought the
> problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.
>
> I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it to
> the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
> router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
> to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
> thinking this has something to do with the router.
>
> Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
> pro SP1 and home SP2.
>
> I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
> not similar enough...
>
> Any ideas?

I have seen your problem on numerous occasions on posts with a new router
where machines connected to the router have trouble connecting to some sites
while not having problems connecting to other sites.

In most of all cases I have seen, if the router is flashed with the current
version of the firmware the router is using or a later version of the
firmware that can be used, then that fixes the problem, and the machines can
connect to all sites with no problem. The router may have a sick firmware
installed and the router has to be flashed to correct it.

Duane

Cooper

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "EyalS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a
>> network for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At
>> first glance, all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open
>> some sites (microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google,
>> and so on), while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I
>> thought the problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.
>>
>> I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it
>> to the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
>> router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
>> to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
>> thinking this has something to do with the router.
>>
>> Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
>> pro SP1 and home SP2.
>>
>> I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
>> not similar enough...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> I have seen your problem on numerous occasions on posts with a new
> router where machines connected to the router have trouble connecting
> to some sites while not having problems connecting to other sites.
>
> In most of all cases I have seen, if the router is flashed with the
> current version of the firmware the router is using or a later
> version of the firmware that can be used, then that fixes the
> problem, and the machines can connect to all sites with no problem.
> The router may have a sick firmware installed and the router has to
> be flashed to correct it.

I had that problem recently with a new modem. Apparently the maker knew
about the problem but I had to wait until a new firmware was released to
remidy it.
In the meantime I had to bypass the DNS proxy settings of the router and
enter the DNS server settings provided by my ISP in windows.
It's the advanced properties of TCP/IP in Network Connections - Local Area
Connection

EyalS

So I need to download the latest firmware? I suppose the DLink site
has all the info on how to do that. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

EyalS

Will try this if a firmware update doesn't do the trick, since it's
Saturday, there's no one at the ISP offices anyway...

Thanks.

Fred

EyalS wrote:
> So I need to download the latest firmware? I suppose the DLink site
> has all the info on how to do that. I'll give it a go.
>
> Thanks

Yes it does http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...oductid=DI-604

Fred

EyalS wrote:
> Will try this if a firmware update doesn't do the trick, since it's
> Saturday, there's no one at the ISP offices anyway...
>
> Thanks.

I forgot it may be an MTU setting problem as well. Mentioned in the D-Link
FAQ.
http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...oductid=DI-604

Walter Mautner

EyalS wrote:

> DLink 604

http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/...mplateId=33600
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

EyalS

Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?

Thanks!

K-Hen-Butt-Kicker

EyalS wrote:
> Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
> router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
> the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
> it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
> it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?
>
> Thanks!

MTU deals with the router connection between your router and the ISP and
has nothing to do with accessing sites.

Duane