Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FTP uploads cut off at 25MB

FTP uploads cut off at 25MB

WCH

I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this process
worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks ago. Now,
even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can upload "small"
files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to upload a larger file
I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY
every time. Even though I've used two different FTP utilities, posted
to two different domains I own, and used two different computers that
are on my home network, every time I make a connection and start the
file transfer -- only to have the transfer fail and restart when about
25-30MB have uploaded. What is going on here??? I called a friend and
had them upload a 95MB video file that I'd posted for them. He was able
to post the file to my domain no problem. That makes me think it's not
my ISP but something about my system or my modem or my firewall or
something. I have Comcast High Speed cable internet, use a Linksys
router, have most of my computers networked by wire (rather than
wireless). Most of my machines run Windows 2000.
Any clue what's causing my problem?
WC

John Holmes

WCH blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Now,
> even though I don't think I've changed anything,

So you are not sure about the things you've changed?

--
Your mother was an inadequate tart who ate worms in a padded cell.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

WCH wrote:

> I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
> friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
> process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
> ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
> upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
> upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in
> EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web host?
Have you deleted any of the previous files?

Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

HMV

news:VEEUf.21795$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WCH wrote:
>
>> I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
>> friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
>> process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
>> ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
>> upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
>> upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in
>> EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

> My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web host?
> Have you deleted any of the previous files?
>
> Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the same
space.

HELPMV
--
Help and support with Multivision Computers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

HMV wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VEEUf.21795$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> WCH wrote:
>>
>>> I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so
>>> a friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
>>> process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
>>> ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
>>> upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
>>> upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails
>>> in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

>> My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web
>> host? Have you deleted any of the previous files?
>>
>> Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

> That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the
> same space.

It would if there was 95MB free, but not the 100MB he said he posts. <g>

And another thought: if others can upload to the site, maybe they have
already filled it to its capacity. Before even posting here, I would
have looked to see how much space was currently in use, and noted that
in his original post.

And no, we don't know what the available space is until the OP decides
to tell us.

The problem might be something esoteric, such as his local ISP has
placed a limit on outgoing bytes.

--

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> HMV wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:VEEUf.21795$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web
>>> host? Have you deleted any of the previous files?
>>>
>>> Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

>> That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the
>> same space.

> It would if there was 95MB free, but not the 100MB he said he posts. <g>
>
> And another thought: if others can upload to the site, maybe they have
> already filled it to its capacity. Before even posting here, I would
> have looked to see how much space was currently in use, and noted that
> in his original post.
>
> And no, we don't know what the available space is until the OP decides
> to tell us.
>
> The problem might be something esoteric, such as his local ISP has
> placed a limit on outgoing bytes.

I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while that
this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file successfully
from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation is 300MB and
the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400. I'm using 80MB
when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted the 95MB file my
bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB out of 300+.

My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was the
problem. No change from that.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

WCH wrote:

> I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
> covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
> that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
> successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
> is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
> I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
> the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
> out of 300+.
>
> My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
> the problem. No change from that.

Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
FileZilla is quite good, and free.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

WCH

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> WCH wrote:
>
>> I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
>> covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
>> that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
>> successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
>> is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
>> I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
>> the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
>> out of 300+.
>>
>> My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
>> the problem. No change from that.

> Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
> FileZilla is quite good, and free.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

SmartFTP is the FTP client I generally use. FileZilla is the second one
I tried and the one I'm using now, with all "default" settings.
Changing FTP client didn't make a difference in this case.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

WCH wrote:

> SmartFTP is the FTP client I generally use. FileZilla is the second
> one I tried and the one I'm using now, with all "default" settings.
> Changing FTP client didn't make a difference in this case.

Ok then; I'm out of ideas on this one.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Rick Merrill

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> WCH wrote:
>

>>I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
>>covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
>>that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
>>successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
>>is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
>>I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
>>the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
>>out of 300+.
>>
>>My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
>>the problem. No change from that.

> Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
> FileZilla is quite good, and free.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

The download of FZ itself is half as fast I as WS_FTP - maybe a problem with the mirror or with the fact that it was updated today and many people may be using it right now.

When you say "quite good" - what do you mean?