Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Multicast on LAN

Multicast on LAN

jmeyer@tgic.com

I have a Cisco 4510 set up as my core switch. It has several vlans for
several networks.
I have Catalyst 3550's in the wiring closets were all my end users are
connected.
I have approxametly 300 endusers.
I want to set up multicast accross the network.
Any quick and dirty set ups?
Thanks

headsetadapter.com

Just turn on "ip multicast-routing", and your multicast will go between VLAN
interfaces. If you want to go more advanced, look for "CGMP" and "IP PIM".
There is not that much to configure for a multicast.

Good luck,

Mike
------
Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.headsetadapter.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a Cisco 4510 set up as my core switch. It has several vlans for
> several networks.
> I have Catalyst 3550's in the wiring closets were all my end users are
> connected.
> I have approxametly 300 endusers.
> I want to set up multicast accross the network.
> Any quick and dirty set ups?
> Thanks

BernieM

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a Cisco 4510 set up as my core switch. It has several vlans for
> several networks.
> I have Catalyst 3550's in the wiring closets were all my end users are
> connected.
> I have approxametly 300 endusers.
> I want to set up multicast accross the network.
> Any quick and dirty set ups?
> Thanks

enable ip multicast routing and then apply "ip pim sparse" on the vlan
interfaces which need to take part in mrouting.

jmeyer@tgic.com

On Mar 6, 2:59 am, "BernieM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> >I have a Cisco 4510 set up as my core switch. It has several vlans for
> > several networks.
> > I have Catalyst 3550's in the wiring closets were all my end users are
> > connected.
> > I have approxametly 300 endusers.
> > I want to set up multicast accross the network.
> > Any quick and dirty set ups?
> > Thanks

> enable ip multicast routing and then apply "ip pim sparse" on the vlan
> interfaces which need to take part in mrouting.

Sounds too easy. Would I need a Rendezvous Point on the core? Should I
enable CGMP and IGMP on all switches?

Lutz Donnerhacke

* http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sounds too easy. Would I need a Rendezvous Point on the core?

If you want to use only Source Specific Multicast, you will not need an
Rendezvous Point. Otherwise you configure one and BSR on all routers.

> Should I enable CGMP and IGMP on all switches?

If your switch offers IGMP snooping: Enable it on the switch.

If your switch does not offer IGMP snooping, check for CGMP and enable it on
the switch and all routers connected to this switch.

If your switch does offer neighter IGMP snooping nor CGMP, mark it red and
consider traffic limitations for multicast on the connecting routers.

LAN, Switching and Routing: Multicast advice needed on Cat 6513 IOS12.2SXF5 Hoffa Cisco 2 02-15-2008 03:48 PM
Can't connect wired linksys lan to wireless belkin lan Tom D Wireless Networking 4 01-24-2005 02:06 PM
Lan-to-LAN tunnel (IOS - VPN 3000) ICMP problem stretch Cisco 2 01-21-2004 01:49 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
IPSec - Lan to Lan - Nat routers - 1 Static and 1 Dynamic ip Sharqy_5 Cisco 0 07-20-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments