Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Losing wireless connection frequently

Losing wireless connection frequently

drbeckwith@fastmail.fm

I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Duane Arnold

> I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
> keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
> connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

If this is an XP O/S laptop are you sure the Wireless Zero Configuration
Service is not making the card roam looking for other networks in your
area?

That may case the machine to drop the connection to your wireless as it
tries to connect to other networks in your area.

Do you have the Preferred Network set in the configuration of the
wireless NIC so that it stays locked in on your network.

Duane

Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
>> keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
>> connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks.
>>

> If this is an XP O/S laptop are you sure the Wireless Zero Configuration
> Service is not making the card roam looking for other networks in your
> area?
>
> That may case the machine to drop the connection to your wireless as it
> tries to connect to other networks in your area.

Correction above --- That may cause the machine to drop the connection.

Duane

drbeckwith@fastmail.fm

Sounds like you know your stuff.

It is indeed XP.

Where do I go to figure out all these things you mention? I don't know
what a NIC is.

Thanks! --Matt

Duane Arnold

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sounds like you know your stuff.
>
> It is indeed XP.
>
> Where do I go to figure out all these things you mention?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...aticwifixp.htm.

Now you could be having some interference too. If the problem continues,
then you may want to seek-out a wireless NG for more information.

> I don't know
> what a NIC is.

A NIC is (Network Interface Card) that allows a computer to connect to a
network. It can be a wired NIC or a wireless NIC.

Duane

Whiskers

On 2006-03-23, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
> keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
> connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Weak signal? Interference from other 'wireless' gadgets?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

jump

I had the same problem, also a toshiba, getting signal intermitently.
Now it is not happening, but I have not been able to trace the problem
to one specific thing.

Among the things I changed are:
downloaded the latest driver from Toshiba update
downloaded the latest firmware for my wireless router (linkys in my
case)

Other things that happened and might have helped:
I moved - It is said that routers, wireless phones signals, and
microwaves, do not befriend each other. Some neighbor might have had a
huge rumford coil; likely where I was studying...

Other things I tried to no help:
Changed wireless channels
Changed distance to PC (it didnt matter if I was 2 feet away or 40)

My hunch on what was happening is some bouncing-resonation between the
power control of the card, and competing networks. I used to see in the
network monitor (netstumbler), the signal of the preferred network
going up and down erratically.

My half cent...

J!

drbeckwith@fastmail.fm

My router is set as the only router in the preferred list.

I've tried various settings (e.g. switching channels), but no joy.

Every 3-4 minutes the connection is lost. Sometimes gets re-retrieved
immediately, sometimes after a minute or so.

I wonder whether there's something wrong with this new laptop I just
bought.

The other computers in our house don't lose their connections, and
they're located much farther away from the router than I am.

Darn, I was hoping somebody on this newsgroup would have some idea what
to do.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Duane Arnold

> Every 3-4 minutes the connection is lost. Sometimes gets re-retrieved
> immediately, sometimes after a minute or so.
>
> I wonder whether there's something wrong with this new laptop I just
> bought.

It's possible that something could be defective with the card.

Have you tried downloading the card's driver from it's Website and
reinstalling it?

Sometimes, that may fix it.

There is also the option of checking with a wireless NG. They are out there.

Duane

drbeckwith@fastmail.fm

I may have fixed the problem. Hasn't happened for the past 5 minutes,
ever since I switched off the following programs:

Avast Antivirus
Zone Alarm (firewall)
Spybot S&D
Winpatrol

Any ideas which one it could be?

If the problem recurs, I certainly will seek help on a wireless
newsgroup.

Thanks.

--Matt