Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Preparing for 216

Preparing for 216

Jason

Just was curious if there were some subjects that the test
hits harder than others. Been working with W2KPro and
Server for about a year now in a 400 end node enviroment
and feel pretty confident but I want a good passing score
and not just scrimp by. Thanks for the info.

Jason

Marko

Hello Jason

If you have read ANY book on 216 and felt as though you
knew the material well enough to take the test, then you
are probably ready. Have a look through the exam
objectives and rate yourself on how well you think you
could write an essay on each point.

I think the real world experience helps a lot with this
exam. I have noticed (even through the posts in these ms
newsgroups) that most of the individuals who have failed
or struggled with 216 were not AS experienced with complex
or corporate networking environments as the guys who
nailed it and said "What beast?".

Rick

As marko say real world experience helps. I passed 70-216 on my first try
but have been working in the IS field for 13 years with the last 7
concentrated on networking. If you look at www.microsoft.com/traincert and
find the objectives it will be a big help for your studying. Also if you do
not have real world experience you need to either find a lab to practice in
or set up one at home.
Here is a brief list of what is there
DNS (LOTS OF THIS)
DHCP
IP/SUBNETTING
GROUP POLICY ( you better know inside and out)
--
Rick

MF

"Rod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:15e701c3837a$61586e60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I took the exam this past Monday. It was hairy - 60
> questions, 2.5 hrs. The worst part of the test is the
> time limit - watch your time! I had alot on IPSec and
> Certificates... and of course the standard: DNS, DHCP,
> WINS, etc.
>
> Rod

I took it a little while ago and got what you got 60 Qs - 2.5 hours. I've
seen people report that they had 210 minutes and various other times.
Perhaps it addled them.

And I agree the time is the problem - and to Jason - you might want to look
at a practice test to prepare yourself for the type of question. The real
problem is the time coupled with the length of the questions - many of them
are long, incredibly wordy, full irrelevant information with the nugget you
need to spot buried somewhere in the prolixity. There are also annoying
drag and drop questions that are not hard in themselves but become hard as
you try to see all the elements on the screen at the same time. I simply
blew one off, left the question unanswered, because I couldn't get enough of
the windows on the screen to see how to answer a what was a simple question.
I always assumed I could leave a few questions unanswered and still pass.
And that was the time to test the assumption. It made me a bit nervous, but
I did pass.

One tip- check your testing center ahead of time and try to be sure they
have decent monitors set to a decent resolution and refresh rate. It might
help.

Mike

lost_packet

Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure Administration
Exam Objective : 1
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting DNS
Exam Objective : 2
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting DHCP
Exam Objective : 3
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting Remote Access
Exam Objective : 4
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting Network Protocols
Exam Objective : 5
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting WINS
Exam Objective : 6
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting IP Routing
Exam Objective : 7
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting NAT
Exam Objective : 8
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring and
Troubleshooting Certificate Services
best of luck...
lost_packet

Abhi

I agree with Rod, the time factor is really crucial. I
took the test this Tuesday and it took me all of the
required time to complete the test. Wordy questions as
mentioned by a number of people.

Also a majority of the questions tested DHCP, DNS,
Certificates and subnetting.

Good luck,

Abhi