Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse Problems

Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse Problems

David

I bought a new computer last year. It's a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4. I
decided not to get a mouse with the system and instead bought a
Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse from Tiger Direct. I hooked the mouse up
to a USB port and it worked. However, I quickly noticed the mouse
would sometimes not work when I booted my computer. Later I realized
the mouse was flagged in Device Manager with an error about the device
could not start. I could remove the entry in Device Manager and scan
for hardware changes and many times it would start working. This
happens about 50% of the time I boot my computer, other 50% of the time
the mouse works fine.

Logitech support suggested I try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 port
via the supplied adapter. After doing that the mouse wouldn't work at
all and didn't even show up in device manager. They then suggested I
hook it to my other computer, an old Dell Dimension XPS R400. The
mouse seemed to work fine on the old computer on the USB and PS/2
ports. I didn't use it very long on the old computer but everything
worked fine while I tried it.

So I thought the PS/2 port might be bad on my new computer. I verified
it was turned on in the BIOS and hooked up another mouse and sure
enough the old mouse works fine on the PS/2 port of the new computer.
So the PS/2 port is good.

I've also tried upgrading my systems BIOS. Resetting the BIOS back to
factory defaults. Switching USB ports the mouse was plugged into.
Using different adapters on the PS/2 port.

To this day the mouse only works about 50% of the time when the
computer is booted when on the USB port, and never on the PS/2 port.

I did plug the mouse into the PS/2 port and boot from a DOS disc w/
mouse driver and the mouse still was NOT detected. I plugged in the
old mouse from my other computer, on the PS/2 port also, and it was
detected in DOS.

So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Cub

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I bought a new computer last year. It's a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4. I
> decided not to get a mouse with the system and instead bought a
> Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse from Tiger Direct. I hooked the mouse up
> to a USB port and it worked. However, I quickly noticed the mouse
> would sometimes not work when I booted my computer. Later I realized
> the mouse was flagged in Device Manager with an error about the device
> could not start. I could remove the entry in Device Manager and scan
> for hardware changes and many times it would start working. This
> happens about 50% of the time I boot my computer, other 50% of the time
> the mouse works fine.
>
> Logitech support suggested I try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 port
> via the supplied adapter. After doing that the mouse wouldn't work at
> all and didn't even show up in device manager. They then suggested I
> hook it to my other computer, an old Dell Dimension XPS R400. The
> mouse seemed to work fine on the old computer on the USB and PS/2
> ports. I didn't use it very long on the old computer but everything
> worked fine while I tried it.
>
> So I thought the PS/2 port might be bad on my new computer. I verified
> it was turned on in the BIOS and hooked up another mouse and sure
> enough the old mouse works fine on the PS/2 port of the new computer.
> So the PS/2 port is good.
>
> I've also tried upgrading my systems BIOS. Resetting the BIOS back to
> factory defaults. Switching USB ports the mouse was plugged into.
> Using different adapters on the PS/2 port.
>
> To this day the mouse only works about 50% of the time when the
> computer is booted when on the USB port, and never on the PS/2 port.
>
> I did plug the mouse into the PS/2 port and boot from a DOS disc w/
> mouse driver and the mouse still was NOT detected. I plugged in the
> old mouse from my other computer, on the PS/2 port also, and it was
> detected in DOS.
>
> So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
> post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
> is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

WHAT OS , is it the same on both comps ?

Any additional detail of the device error.

Are you connection the device via a hub or direct in to a mobo socket (I
have a hub that won't drive a couple of usb devices, but the devices work
fine plugged into the mobo)

Drivers, latest revision ??

BTW a new mouse would have cost you less than the time you spent trying to
fix this problem

Regards

Cub

Dan Evans

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
> post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
> is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get a new mouse.

Dan

David

It's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. All updates are installed.
SetPoint is the newest version.

Here is the thing though. It had the same problems with the Windows
mouse drivers after a fresh install of Windows. This was before
SetPoint and pretty much everything else was installed.

Also it won't work in DOS when connected to a USB port.

I don't know what kind of warranty this mouse has on it but I think it
may be time to call Logitech and ask them to replace it.

Thanks,
Dave

David

I should have said "it won't work in DOS when connected to the PS/2
port", not USB port.

Dan Evans

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I should have said "it won't work in DOS when connected to the PS/2
> port", not USB port.

Who are you replying to? In any case, it's only a mouse, it's not working,
get a new one. If you feel that you need to go through the rigamarole of
RMA'ing it, then RMA - but in any case, just replace it.

Dan

David

Dan,

It just makes me mad I paid good money for it and it never worked
right. I am glad to say I was told to call the Logitech support # by
their e-mail support department. After about 5 mins on the phone the
guy arranged to get a new one sent out to me free of charge. So
hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Thanks,
David