Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)

Installing an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)

cohenlj@yahoo.com

Hi,

I want to install an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)
computer. I have already put in a USB 2.0 card and a second hard
drive-no problem! I want to install a DVD writer and in order to do so
I must remove one of the old drives. It now has a DVD drive and a CD
writer. (I would prefer to remove the top drive which is the DVD
drive.)

I have the left side panel (this side without the motherboard) and the
top panel off, but I can't figure out how to get to the screws on the
right hand side (this is the side with the motherboard) of the drive
to remove the old drive and put in the new one. Does one need to take
the screws off on the right hand side, or is there some trick? And when
you pull out the old drive, do you pull it out though the front, or
will it fit taking it out from the back?

Anybody have any experience with this, or a similar SONY VAIO?

I tried the SONY website and got nowhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry

JANA

Did you try calling Sony support? If they won't tell you, maybe they can do
it for a reasonable price.

The other alternative, is to get a USB or Firewire DVD writer.

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

[...]

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> Hi,
>
> I want to install an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)
> computer. I have already put in a USB 2.0 card and a second hard
> drive-no problem! I want to install a DVD writer and in order to do so
> I must remove one of the old drives. It now has a DVD drive and a CD
> writer. (I would prefer to remove the top drive which is the DVD
> drive.)
>
> I have the left side panel (this side without the motherboard) and the
> top panel off, but I can't figure out how to get to the screws on the
> right hand side (this is the side with the motherboard) of the drive
> to remove the old drive and put in the new one. Does one need to take
> the screws off on the right hand side, or is there some trick? And when
> you pull out the old drive, do you pull it out though the front, or
> will it fit taking it out from the back?
>
> Anybody have any experience with this, or a similar SONY VAIO?

It varies a lot from case to case, but from some Googling I see that on
your model there's supposed to be a little lever on the bottom of the
case you need to pull. But on most cases all you need to remove the
right panel is remove a couple of screws. Don't worry about disturbing
the motherboard, it isn't attached to that. Once open, you should be
able to see the way to remove the drive. As for removing the old drive,
most times it must come out through the front, sometimes there's enough
room in the case so it could go either way.