Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NTFS ? Or FAT32?

NTFS ? Or FAT32?

Freebie

I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
F.

Toolman Tim

In news:T90Tf.216976$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk,
Freebie spewed forth:
> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the
> drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should
> I perform the format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any
> problem reading the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too
> clue-d up on partitions). F.

Unless you intend to also use that USB hard drive on a computer running
Windows 98 or ME, leave it formatted as NTFS. It is more reliable and
secure.

All Things Mopar

Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand

> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
> tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
> partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
> or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
> the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
> on partitions). F.

If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
itself. XP can read NTFS or FAT32 so you have not lost any data.
Everything should be A-OK.

There is a never ending debate about NTFS vs. FAT32, but two
reasons to have NTFS is SP2 security and the ability to create
files larger than about 2 gig.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." Henry Ford

Toolman Tim

In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
All Things Mopar spewed forth:
> Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand
>

>> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
>> tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
>> partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
>> or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
>> the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
>> on partitions). F.
>>

> If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
> NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
> itself.

Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the choice of
FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

Flying Rat

In article <T90Tf.216976$(E-Mail Removed) >, Freebie
says...

> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
> partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
> format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
> drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
> F.

Google for DVDSanta

about the easiest and most effective way of doing it

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Flying Rat
says...
> In article <T90Tf.216976$(E-Mail Removed) >, Freebie
> says...
> >
> > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
> > partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
> > format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
> > drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
> > F.
> >

> Google for DVDSanta
>
> about the easiest and most effective way of doing it

arse! Wrong message replied to

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ,
Flying Rat spewed forth:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Flying Rat
> says...
>> In article <T90Tf.216976$(E-Mail Removed) >,
>> Freebie says...
>>>
>>> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the
>>> drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so
>>> should I perform the format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC
>>> have any problem reading the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm
>>> not too clue-d up on partitions).
>>> F.
>>>

>> Google for DVDSanta
>>
>> about the easiest and most effective way of doing it
>>

> arse! Wrong message replied to

(oops!) That can happen <g>

Rick Merrill

Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
> All Things Mopar spewed forth:
>
>>Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand
>>

>>>I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
>>>tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
>>>partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
>>>or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
>>>the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
>>>on partitions). F.
>>>

>>If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
>>NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
>>itself.

> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the choice of
> FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the HD when it installs."

All Things Mopar

Today Rick Merrill commented courteously on the subject at
hand

> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
>> All Things Mopar spewed forth:
>>
>>>If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition -
>>>C:\ - is NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when
>>>it installs itself.

>> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user
>> has the choice of FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
> HD when it installs."

Rick, I Googled for this and technically Tim is correct. XP
/will/ format FAT32 and install itself, but you have to be
tenacious about it. As you say, if you let XP install using
its defaults, it will format NTFS, or it will install to a
separate multi-boot partition if you have a boot manager
installed.

Both my PCs started life as SP1. I have SP2 on my newer one. I
tried to Google and look in the M$ KB for SP2 requirements for
NTFS but came up blank. But, being that there is literally no
place in FAT32 for the (ersatz) security functions of SP2 I
cannot believe it would even try to install itself. Not
wanting to nuke and reinstall just to make a point <grin>, my
guess is that an upgrade to SP2 would fail and, I suspect, an
SP2-only install CD wouldn't give you the option of FAT32.

I'm assuming a lot here, and you know what happens when you
ass/u/me - it makes an ass out of you and me! <grin>

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." Henry
Ford

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rick Merrill spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
>> All Things Mopar spewed forth:
>>
>>> Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand

>>> If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
>>> NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
>>> itself.

>> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the
>> choice of FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the HD when it
> installs."

Yes it does. It formats the drive. But it asks you how YOU want it
formated - quick or full format in NTFS, quick or full format in FAT32. At
least, the several dozen or so computers I've set up from scratch did...

Creating a batch to determine if HD is NTFS if not format it NTFS Tech Computer Support 3 04-06-2004 06:19 PM
NTFS permisions Rick MCSE 8 10-23-2003 02:12 PM
share and NTFS permission Bay MCSE 4 10-23-2003 12:01 PM
Question about NTFS Joshua MCSE 12 10-15-2003 11:56 AM
NTFS permission question Bay MCSE 2 10-08-2003 05:35 AM

Advertisments